May 13, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
Manchester United could be lining up a bid to bring Cesc Fabregas back to the Premier League.
According to the Evening Standard, United are looking to sign Fabregas as evidence of the intent to continue their winning ways despite the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson. If signed, Fabregas would become David Moyes’ first acquisition as manager of United. The club has reportedly made contact with Barcelona concerning Fabregas and the Blaugrana are rumored to be asking for a transfer fee of $30.7m (£20m) for the Spain international.
Since returning to his boyhood club, Fabregas has struggled to make an impact and has come under significant media and fan criticism for his performances. While Fabregas has featured in the central midfield throughout the campaign, he has consistently been left out of the Starting XI for Barcelona’s biggest matches. Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta remain the midfield pairing of choice, with Lionel Messi operating in front of the Spanish duo.
The reports concerning Fabregas come at the heals of Barcelona’s humiliating 7-0 aggregate defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi-final. Bowing out in that fashion has prompted the club to consider a fire-sale of underperforming players, which includes Alexis Sanchez and David Villa.
Fortunately for Cesc, United is in serious need of a central midfielder who can inspire. Darren Fletcher remains sidelined with a serious illness, Paul Scholes is retiring at the end of the season, Anderson is set to be transferred and Tom Cleverley’s inconsistent play and injury struggles make him a huge question mark going forward. That leaves Phil Jones and Michael Carrick as holding midfielders and an aging Ryan Giggs, a promising Shinji Kagawa and a green Nick Powell as potential playmakers.
What could make it the perfect role for Fabregas, however, is that he would be re-united with Robin van Persie. The two spent seven seasons together at Arsenal where Fabregas developed into a dominant set up man while van Persie established himself as one of the most lethal finishers.
If Moyes decides to move for Fabregas that could spell doom for Wayne Rooney, who typically plays inside of the van Persie. Rooney has asked for a transfer and is rumored to be on the wish list of Paris St. Germain, Chelsea and Bayern Munich.
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes