May 13, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
Paris Saint-Germain, the latest and perhaps final career stop for global icon David Beckham, still has two matches and a bit of a sticky situation to sort out with the authorities.
But it seems likely that Beckham will claim a league crown in a fourth country, yet another feather in a cap already adorned with so many of them.
PSG “clinched” the title in France’s Ligue 1 with a 1-0 win over Lyon, pulling the side seven points clear of the nearest pursuer with two matches to play. The issue to sort is tied into allegations of misconduct toward a referee by sporting director Leonardo and a possible point deduction that would leave the men of Parc des Princes with a little more work to do.
For now, we’ll just stick with what we know, which is that Beckham and PSG are in the driver’s seat. That would give Beckham a league title to go with those won in England, Spain and the United States. (He claimed two MLS Cup titles with the Galaxy, in his last two years in the States.)
Beckham would become the first Englishman to claim league medals in four countries, according to reports from his homeland.
Meanwhile, the questions of Beckham’s future persist. (Haven’t we played this record before? Like, for about 10 years, since he left Manchester United for Real Madrid?)
This piece says PSG and Leonardo are pressing hard to sign the 38-year-old midfielder for yet another season in Paris. Said Leonardo:
We want to continue with him, but it’s up to him to decide. The club has been changing from a normal club to a top club, and Beckham gives you some kind of confidence.”
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- Premier League Roundup: Upsets galore as Manchester United, Chelsea lose 0
- Jose Mourinho: “We’re in trouble” after Chelsea’s defeat to Stoke 1
- Stoke City 3-2 Chelsea: Assaidi’s screamer hands Potters massive win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (23)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)