May 14, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
18. Toronto FC – Team president Kevin Payne says DP reinforcements are on the way, set for this summer. It can’t be soon enough.
17. Chicago Fire – What’s worse, just 1 of a possible 12 points so far on the road? Or just 6 of a possible 15 points at home? Hmmm.
16. Chivas USA – Goals just before halftime are killing the Goats; another one dented the visitors’ chances in Portland last week, one that eventually got away from Chivas and finished 3-0. The Chivas attack right now looks completely lost, devoid of any direction.
15. New England Revolution – New England’s pair of home games last week were both against quality opposition (New York and Real Salt Lake). Still, emerging with just one points from a possible six at Gillette Stadium represents shallow return. Oh, speaking of Gillette, the club’s untenable stadium situation remains a case of “same mess, different day.”
14. Columbus – Eddie Gaven (pictued above) said it best: “The mood here is not very high right now, getting shutout our last two home games. It’s not what we wanted. It’s that last pass and last shot that just wasn’t there. It wasn’t clean when we got to the last third of the field.”
13. Vancouver Whitecaps – The Whitecaps’ 3-1 win over the LA Galaxy was the first victory for Martin Rennie’s team since March 9. Next up is a Cascadia Cup biggie; Portland comes into BC Place Saturday.
12. San Jose Earthquakes – Let’s look at the schedule and see which unlucky team comes into Northern California after Frank Yallop’s proud bunch – who can also be a very, very physical bunch – got on the business end of a 4-0 throttling … Oh! Congratulations, Colorado. The teams meet Saturday at Buck Shaw.
11. Philadelphia Union – Young striker Jack McInerney remains ahead of the field in the Golden Boot chase, now with seven goals after managing yet another game-winner in the Union’s big 1-0 win at Chicago. By the way, John Hackworth’s team is a dandy 3-2-1 on the road. Every team will take that.
- LIVE – Champions League: Arsenal host Dortmund, Liverpool face Ludogorets 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0