May 14, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Following Round 11 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement:
10. Real Salt Lake – RSL fans are seFollowing Round 11 of league play, here are Nos. 1-10 in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement.eing red over the fact that Marco di Vaio’s important goal was clearly offside. It was the equalizer in a Montreal’s 3-2 draw north of the border.
9. LA Galaxy – After some degree of success last month, attempting to score goals without injured DP striker Robbie Keane is getting increasingly difficult for Bruce Arena’s team. LA has lost two in a row, with just one goal in those 180 minutes. What say you, Landon Donovan?
8. Colorado Rapids – Another week, another well-managed shutout for the men of DSG Park. Let’s talk about them more often going forward, can we? (By the way, in that linked piece, I should have mentioned 19-year-old center back Shane O’Neill (pictured above), filling in so admirably now for veteran Marvell Wynne.)
7. Seattle Sounders – We wondered aloud if this was one of the best weeks in Sounders’ history, with a huge 1-0 road win over Sporting KC and then a resounding 4-0 spanking of San Jose back at CenturyLink? It’s got to be Top Five, at least, right? Based on current form, Sigi Schmid’s team may deserve to be higher in our PST ranking, but we’ll hold off just a bit until, pending just a little larger sample for assessment (and a record of 3-3-3 that still falls under “just OK.”)
6. Montreal Impact – No time to celebrate Saturday’s swell comeback, a 3-2 win at home over Real Salt Lake. Marco Schallibaum’s bunch faces Vancouver at Stade Saputo on Wednesday in the first leg of the Amway Canadian Championship final. The stakes are more than northern bragging rights; there is a CONCACAF Champions League berth at stake, too.
5. Houston Dynamo – Will Bruin sure had a big week, getting a paw on every goal in a 4-0 road win, a fairly rare beast of the MLS jungle. Sporting Kansas City upended the Dynamo’s splashy home unbeaten streak, true enough. But the team from Texas appeared to get the last laugh in the Twitter scrum that followed.
4. Portland Timbers – Like the Cascadia rivals just up the road (Seattle, that is), Round 11 was quite a week for the men of Jeld-Wen Field. Caleb Porter’s possession specialists earned a quality draw in Dallas, and then followed up with a memorable afternoon against Chivas USA. Rodney Wallace as a converted left winger? Yep, that’s working out about as well as it possibly could.
3. New York Red Bulls – Thierry Henry’s spectacular overhead kick saved the day in a highly credible road win at Montreal. But they couldn’t quite replicate the feat in New England, although a 1-1 draw with the Revs (where Mike Petke’s men did rally quickly from a goal behind) surely made Week 11 a success for the Red Bulls.
2. Sporting Kansas City – Sporting Kansas City bounced back from a loss at home (to in-form Seattle) with a gritty, well-earned 1-0 win in Houston. That snapped the Dynamo’s league-record 36-game unbeaten streak across all competitions. Kei Kamara got back on the field for manager Peter Vermes, and that’s a swell addition by any measure.
1. FC Dallas – A 2-1 win over beleaguered D.C. United may not look like a praiseworthy result around FC Dallas Stadium. But Schellas Hyndman rolled the dice by leaving five starters on the bench, including his two best players. So getting all three points to stretch its lead in the West was, actually, a bit of win to savor.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Not a great deal has changed in the world of Premier League goalkeepers this offseason, but among the differences is a huge one: Petr Cech has moved from Chelsea to Arsenal.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
PST selects the strongest XI’s for each PL team ahead of the 2015-16 season. Let us know what you think.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Ronaldo is not happy. Not at all.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Forwards both left off Real’s Audi Cup squad after training ground injuries.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
All of the latest gossip from around the PL, right here.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Wenger and Mourinho’s feud continues, but should both manager’s bite the bullet and make up?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
PSG’s skipper Silva is risking the wrath of United’s fans around the globe.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Real Madrid superstar is a baller on and off the pitch.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
Eagles sign young English striker from Black Cats.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:02 AM EDT
Costa remains a huge injury worry for Chelsea heading into the new season.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
David Accam helped lead Chicago Fire over FC Dallas to end the visitors five-game winning streak.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Xavi gets up for preseason friendlies, and in his first match for his new club, the 35-year-old rips a classic free kick.
Aug 2, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
Diego Valeri missed a penalty as neither side could take advantage of its few big chances.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
It was a tough day for a number of Premier League teams who suffered losses and setbacks, most notably Mark Hughes and Stoke City.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
The 23-year-old midfielder has struggled with ankle problems in the past, and another has cropped up.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Some big signings this summer and a new manager has fans excited for what could be this coming year.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
Tony Pulis is a hard-nosed leader, but unless Saido Berahino can repeat his goal-scoring year from last season, it will be a tough go for the Baggies.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Take a bow, Benteke. Take a bow.
Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game
Aug 2, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Chelsea boss hits out at Gunners as he loses to Wenger for first time in 14 attempts.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
The long-time spat between the managers of Arsenal and Chelsea rumbles on.
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 0
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 2
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 1
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 8