Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT

May 15, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Los Angeles Galaxy v Sporting Kansas City Getty Images

Back and forth, back and forth.

This Landon Donovan vs. Jurgen Klinsmann saga just keeps going on and on.

And now it has taken a new twist.

Earlier today Donovan responded to reports that he was set to be left out of Klinsmann’s USMNT squad, for the crucial World Cup qualifiers next month.

Donovan spoke to the LA Galaxy All-Access podcast, about the SI.com reports that he wouldn’t be featuring in Klinsmann’s plans for the friendlies with Belgium and Germany and the three World Cup qualifiers against Jamaica, Panama and Honduras in June.

Well, Jurgen and I have consistently spoken over many months now. I was not aware that was information that was already made public. Jurgen has not told me that it was definitive. But I really do believe that if I get called in that I can help the team, even if I’m not playing, I can help the team. I think that my experience having been through this three times could be very beneficial, but if I’m not in then it is what it is and I’ll get my way back in.

So, what do we think of that folks?

First of all, it seems as if Donovan and Klinsi are on much better terms than we thought. But these comments by Donovan do come across as a little, I don’t know, over confident? Maybe I am just reading into them too much.

But it does seem as if Donovan is pushing ever so hard for an inclusion into the next USMNT squad. As he left the door wide open to a possible call up for the crunch World Cup qualifiers in just a few weeks time.

The USMNT could certainly use Donovan. Can you think of anyone better to come off the bench late in the game if the US are struggling to break down Honduras or Panama at home? Nope, neither can I.

So even if Donovan isn’t fully-fit and he isn’t reproducing the sparkling form we have all come to expect from him, you put him in the squad for his experience, his leadership and his ability to deliver in clutch moments. Come on Klinsi.

(More: Should Donovan be included in the next USMNT squad?)

He hasn’t played 144 times for the US and scored 49 times at the international level through luck. The man is a quality player. Klinsmann seems to be holding back from picking one of the USA’s best players because of a power struggle in his own mind. Donovan’s inclusion will not hinder the USMNT’s trajectory towards the 2014 World Cup. It will only help it.

If the US want to rubber stamp their ticket to Brazil as soon as possible, Donovan needs to be in the mix.

Even if that means he is Graham Zusi’s understudy and provides valuable minutes off the bench.

The latest comments from Donovan on his USMNT future is clear. A ‘come and get me plea’ has been issued.

So what are you waiting for… go and get him, Jurgen.

1. charliej11 - May 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I am afraid he will earn his spot back when JK realizes he made a mistake and we lose to Jamaica, Panama and Honduras

• midtec2005 - May 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Really? I will eat my shorts if we lost to all three of those teams.

2. mkbryant3 - May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I love me some Nats drama. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I’m in Donovan’s court. The dude took a break and has not looked sharp in the Galaxy games I have seen. But, still, he can provide experience and a sub role, in the least, as other have pointed out.

The man took a break for his well-being, which means for the well-being of the Galaxy and the Nats. He deserved it in my opinion, to recharge, or he may have quit the game, who knows? It wasn’t like he was holding out for more salary, like we see in other sports.

I understand where Klinsi is coming from. No favors, team spirit, competition. But, this is Donovan we are talking about. And look how he is bending over backwards for Holden (which I am for) and the back and forth with babying Chandler (which I feel Klinsi wouldn’t have done if a non-German had pulled that).

I bet there is a lot more to this and even some journalists who know what is going on, but can’t yet say.

3. midtec2005 - May 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Jurgen probably wants to make sure Donovan in motivated, and I think this will help motivate him. He needs to get his form back to a point where Klinnsman ignore him. I don’t think he’s that far off… he just got a late start to the season. He will be back in the next cycle of games.

4. marjorine1 - May 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I hope we don’t make the World Cup. it would be epic LOLs.

5. talgrath - May 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I’m going to strongly disagree with you here, have you seen Donovan play lately? Graham Zusi is obviously in much better form right now as are variety of US midfielders in MLS. Now, if/once Donovan gets back in to form then yes, he is obviously the superior midfielder but there is no guarantee that will happen. What Donovan fans can’t seem to grasp is it is very possible that this is going to be a lost year for Donovan, or perhaps this might even be the end of his international career. Don’t get me wrong, I doubt it is the last we’ve seen of Donovan in a US uniform, but it is a possibility. When Donovan starts to (consistently) play like Donovan again, absolutely call him up, but right now a half-mast Donovan isn’t better than the other options the US has.

• joeyt360 - May 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Even before the obvious “yuk yuk yuk”s this statement would incur after the most recent game, LA actually played KC on national TV three weeks ago and Donovan controlled the game, while Zusi was ineffectual.

• talgrath - May 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM

First and foremost, LA is easily one of the most dominant teams in MLS, Donovan has a much stronger cast around him than Graham does at KC. Second, even though Donovan has had flashes of brilliance, his consistency is off, his first game or two back he seemed brilliant, but right now he is not consistently in-form. Graham was a bit stymied at LA, but it wasn’t due to Donovan, the entire KC team was outclassed by a far superior roster.

6. mkbryant3 - May 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Saw the Philly highlights. Yeah. We have no use for Donovan.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?