Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT

May 15, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Los Angeles Galaxy v Sporting Kansas City Getty Images

Back and forth, back and forth.

This Landon Donovan vs. Jurgen Klinsmann saga just keeps going on and on.

And now it has taken a new twist.

Earlier today Donovan responded to reports that he was set to be left out of Klinsmann’s USMNT squad, for the crucial World Cup qualifiers next month.

Donovan spoke to the LA Galaxy All-Access podcast, about the SI.com reports that he wouldn’t be featuring in Klinsmann’s plans for the friendlies with Belgium and Germany and the three World Cup qualifiers against Jamaica, Panama and Honduras in June.

Well, Jurgen and I have consistently spoken over many months now. I was not aware that was information that was already made public. Jurgen has not told me that it was definitive. But I really do believe that if I get called in that I can help the team, even if I’m not playing, I can help the team. I think that my experience having been through this three times could be very beneficial, but if I’m not in then it is what it is and I’ll get my way back in.

So, what do we think of that folks?

First of all, it seems as if Donovan and Klinsi are on much better terms than we thought. But these comments by Donovan do come across as a little, I don’t know, over confident? Maybe I am just reading into them too much.

But it does seem as if Donovan is pushing ever so hard for an inclusion into the next USMNT squad. As he left the door wide open to a possible call up for the crunch World Cup qualifiers in just a few weeks time.

The USMNT could certainly use Donovan. Can you think of anyone better to come off the bench late in the game if the US are struggling to break down Honduras or Panama at home? Nope, neither can I.

So even if Donovan isn’t fully-fit and he isn’t reproducing the sparkling form we have all come to expect from him, you put him in the squad for his experience, his leadership and his ability to deliver in clutch moments. Come on Klinsi.

(More: Should Donovan be included in the next USMNT squad?)

He hasn’t played 144 times for the US and scored 49 times at the international level through luck. The man is a quality player. Klinsmann seems to be holding back from picking one of the USA’s best players because of a power struggle in his own mind. Donovan’s inclusion will not hinder the USMNT’s trajectory towards the 2014 World Cup. It will only help it.

If the US want to rubber stamp their ticket to Brazil as soon as possible, Donovan needs to be in the mix.

Even if that means he is Graham Zusi’s understudy and provides valuable minutes off the bench.

The latest comments from Donovan on his USMNT future is clear. A ‘come and get me plea’ has been issued.

So what are you waiting for… go and get him, Jurgen.

Latest Posts
  1. Nigeria’s Vincent Enyeama fearful of Ebola at Africa Cup of Nations

Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT

Nigeria's Super Eagle goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama catches the ball during a World Cup 2014 qualifier football match against Ethiopia on October 13, 2013 in Addis Ababas. AFP PHOTO / SIMON MAINA Getty Images

Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.

2. Dunga, Brazil football federation create new code of conduct for national team

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT

Carlos Dunga

Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.

3. WATCH: Spurs midfielder Erik Lamela strikes astounding ‘rabona’ goal

Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-TOTTENHAM-SHERIFF TIRASPOL

Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.

4. Tottenham striker Harry Kane scores hat trick, then allows goal as emergency netminder

Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane, left, and Aston Villa's Matthew Lowton. AP

Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.

5. Lille 0-0 Everton: Toffees stay unbeaten in Group H

Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

distin_3083675b Getty Images

Lille and Everton played to a 0-0 draw at Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Europa League group stage competition.

6. Frank Lampard could be fit to play in City’s match vs. West Ham

Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT

Lampard AP

Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.

7. Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’

Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

cristiano_ronaldo AP

“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.

8. Brendan Rogers has faith in Balotelli, but noncommittal on striker’s future

Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Balotelli AP

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.

9. VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down

Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

PST Extra - Oct. 23

Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.

10. Father auctions his son’s allegiance… Manchester United or Manchester City?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-MAN UTD Getty Images

Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.

11. Sunil Gulati backs Jurgen Klinsmann following MLS dispute, USMNT “on the same page”

Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

GulatiKlinsmann Getty Images

Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”

12. Diego Costa remains a doubt for Chelsea amid illness, groin strain

Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.

13. All eyes on Origi: Tim Howard, Everton wary of on-loan Liverpool forward

Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Belgium v USA: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”

14. MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati v Miami Cincinnati v Miami

Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.

15. Everton fans reportedly attacked by gang in Lille ahead of Europa League clash

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS

A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.

16. Report: Dutch star Dirk Kuyt heading to Southampton

Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?

17. Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool?

Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT

Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.

18. After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings

Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?