May 15, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
It’s not just that the Galaxy have lost their last two games. If you want to start worrying about the defending champions (which, you shouldn’t), you can start with LA’s March 30 visit to Toronto. Beginning with that match, a 2-2 draw at BMO, Bruce Arena’s side has only two wins in eight games (counting CONCACAF Champions League). While their two victories were impressive – mauling Sporting Kansas City before a 2-0 victory at Rio Tinto – super team skeptics have given enough fodder to pick from.
But beyond the precedent of last year, when Los Angeles did a spring face plant before retaining their MLS Cup, there’s another reason we should refrain from judging LA took harshly. And thankfully, that reason gives us a great excuse to keep tuning into these uneven performances, even as stars like Robbie Keane, Landon Donovan, and Todd Dunivant are either out or rounding into form.
During these early, low leverage, regular season games, Bruce Arena is testing out the fruits of LA’s development system. Be it from home grown hype of youth national team contributions, they’re players we’ve been hearing about for some time, but as Arena tries them out over the season’s first two months, we’ll see which prospects can have an impact on LA’s question for a third-straight title:
- Twenty-two year old Greg Cohchrane has been getting Dunivant’s starts at left back, and while early returns have been mixed (he struggled this weekend in Vancouver), that’s what this process is all about. Arena gets to see who will and won’t be part of the puzzle come August.
- Jack McBean, who doesn’t turn 19 until December, is out with a broken (and since, repaired) clavicle. When he returns, he looks set to have some role in Arena’s attack. In seven appearances (370 minutes), the home grown product has a goal and two assists.
- Jose Villarreal, a key to the U.S> qualifying for this summer’s U-20 World Cup, is getting playing time at 19, posted a goal and an assist in 348 minutes.
- Midfielder Hector Jimenez has been given two starts, highly-touted Gyasi Zardes is back from injury, while rookie Charlie Rugg already has his first MLS goal.
Beyond the production, the important thing about this group is there mere playing time. Whether they’ll see as many minutes at the end of the year – after the Galaxy get fully healthy, acquire a third Designated Player, and potentially shop for another Christian Wilhelmsson – remains to be seen, but tonight in Philadelphia, you’ll likely see a number of the Galaxy kids on display.
For all those prospects, the trip to Chester presents an intriguing test. It’s a very winnable game, particularly with Omar Gonzalez fully capable of neutralizing Jack McInerney. The Union, a weak attack even when Jack Man’s on form, have only six non-McInerney goals in 15 games. Gonzalez may have his hands full with Conor Casey, but with McInerney already on seven goals, the Galaxy will be sure to have the league’s best defender keep an eye on the ascending poacher.
If Gonzalez and A.J. DeLaGarza can limit McInerney, then Landon Donovan, Mike Magee, and that strong midfield duo should be able to take full points at PPL Park. If any of the kids chip in, they’ll improve their odds of playing a part when Arena’s team truly comes together.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?
Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT
Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Ronaldo, Benzema and co. put on a clinic at Anfield, as Liverpool are taught a lesson.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 0
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 1
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2