May 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Since every player who started the last two World Cup qualifiers for Jurgen Klinsmann was named to today’s roster, putting our arms around a lineup for the money matches ahead shouldn’t be too tricky.
Then again, Klinsmann is a man who likes to “zig” when we are sure that he’s about to “zag,” so who really knows?
But below seems like a pretty good guess.
Fabian Johnson and Tim Howard are back into selection consideration, that does make for an interesting choice at left back. Not so much at goalkeeper as we talked about before.
DaMarcus Beasley could start on the left, with Johnson on the right. That would provide Klinsmann with the option of pairing Geoff Cameron with Omar Gonzalez in the middle.
All of this is likely to change over the three World Cup qualifiers next month, especially with eight U.S. men sitting on those yellow cards. But for now, here’s our best guess at how things might be arranged as a starting point.
(Tactically, chances are that it looks more like a 4-4-2 for the away match at Jamaica, but the same basic arrangement looks a little more like a 4-3-3 for the home matches, with the flank men playing a little higher up the field and Dempsey dropping a little closer to the midfield connectors, Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones.)
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear