May 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
Since every player who started the last two World Cup qualifiers for Jurgen Klinsmann was named to today’s roster, putting our arms around a lineup for the money matches ahead shouldn’t be too tricky.
Then again, Klinsmann is a man who likes to “zig” when we are sure that he’s about to “zag,” so who really knows?
But below seems like a pretty good guess.
Fabian Johnson and Tim Howard are back into selection consideration, that does make for an interesting choice at left back. Not so much at goalkeeper as we talked about before.
DaMarcus Beasley could start on the left, with Johnson on the right. That would provide Klinsmann with the option of pairing Geoff Cameron with Omar Gonzalez in the middle.
All of this is likely to change over the three World Cup qualifiers next month, especially with eight U.S. men sitting on those yellow cards. But for now, here’s our best guess at how things might be arranged as a starting point.
(Tactically, chances are that it looks more like a 4-4-2 for the away match at Jamaica, but the same basic arrangement looks a little more like a 4-3-3 for the home matches, with the flank men playing a little higher up the field and Dempsey dropping a little closer to the midfield connectors, Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones.)
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"