David Beckham retires from soccer

May 16, 2013, 10:24 AM EST

Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion. Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion.

David Beckham’s glittering career as the world’s most recognizable soccer player is over.

This morning the 38-year-old Englishman announced his retirement from the game, after winning the French league title with Paris Saint-Germain.

The former Manchester United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and PSG player has become not only one of the greatest names in world soccer but also a global icon.

After captaining his country for many years, Beckham also became the first English player to win league titles in four different countries.

Beckham released the following statement, confirming his retirement from the game.

“I’m thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level,” Beckham said.

“If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I’m fortunate to have realized those dreams.”

(PHOTOS: The life and times of David Beckham)

Beckham’s time with the English national team was monumental, winning a record 115 caps as an outfield player and he reflected on his success with England.

“To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country,” Beckham said. “I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country.”

The former Major League Soccer star then went on to send out one last thanks to those closest to him.

(MORE: Beckham’s five biggest moments in U.S. Socccer)

“I’m honored to represent England both on and off the pitch … I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.”

Beckham will retire after Paris Saint-Germain’s final game of the French season, when they travel to Lorient on Sunday May 26.

It will be the final game in his storybook career.

(MORE: Bigger impact on game’s growth here, Beckham or Pele?)

(MORE: Beckham’s most memorable moments on the world stage)

(MORE: Emotional Beckham says now is the time to retire)

Latest Posts
  1. Liverpool legend says Simon Mignolet is ‘worse than Dracula’

Nov 26, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

Norwich City v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

Former Reds’ goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar had some choice words for the struggling Simon Mignolet as Liverpool’s tumultuous season continues.

2. Arjen Robben says Bayern were ‘brutally punished’ by City

Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Manchester City FC v FC Bayern Muenchen - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

The Bayern star was outshone by Sergio Aguero’s hat trick in Munich’s 3-2 loss to Manchester City.

3. Victor Moses out up to eight weeks with injury

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Stoke City v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Stoke City will be without their on-loan winger as the Nigerian international is sidelined with a thigh injury.

4. Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots

Nov 26, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

meninblazers

Rog and Davo scrutinize Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool and welcome Kyle Martino to the pod.

5. Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start

Nov 26, 2014, 10:19 AM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-LUDOGORETS Getty Images

Eight Champions League matches take place today as Arsenal and Liverpool both look to rebound from Premier League losses.

6. Cesc Fabregas offended by Sergio Ramos’ comments

Nov 26, 2014, 9:25 AM EST

Chelsea v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

Spanish defender Sergio Ramos questioned some players loyalty to the national team, which didn’t sit well with Cesc Fabregas.

7. Darren Bent on loan to Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion

Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 AM EST

Aston Villa v FC Dallas - Pre-Season Friendly Getty Images

The Aston Villa striker will be looking for minutes as he heads down the ranks to the Championship on a one-month loan.

8. FIFA releases 20-man shortlist of top defenders

Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 AM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-LIVERPOOL Getty Images

Four Premier League defenders found their way onto FIFA’s shortlist for the 2014 FIFPro World XI.

9. PRO general manager: LA/SEA referee Stott never issued “no second yellows” declaration

Nov 25, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Zach Scott, Gyasi Zardes AP

There were a lot of fouls in the first leg of Los Angeles and Seattle’s Western Conference final, and some were quite serious.

10. WATCH: Nani makes Maribor’s defense look silly in Sporting CP’s UEFA Champions League win

Nov 25, 2014, 10:45 PM EST

Nani AP

Like many fun to watch goals, the magic of the shooter is magnified by the mistakes of the defenders.

11. Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault”

Nov 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-SCHALKE-CHELSEA Getty Images

“I think they have to accept we were too strong for them,” added Mourinho.

12. Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek?

Nov 25, 2014, 9:16 PM EST

Digitalsport.no Digitalsport.no

We’ll be following who else comes calling for the Princeton man.

13. Manchester United assistant Ryan Giggs thinks Chelsea’s the top dog, compares Louis van Gaal to Alex Ferguson

Nov 25, 2014, 8:05 PM EST

Manchester United v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

Giggs calls the Stamford Bridge club “head and shoulders above the Premier League” on the strength of their back four.

14. New York City FC rolls out jet black road jersey; How’d they do?

Nov 25, 2014, 7:13 PM EST

@NYCFC @NYCFC

These will be hot in the summer. But are they hot now? What do you think?

15. Out with the old? Colorado declines options on Buddle, Wynne, LaBrocca, but won’t rule out returns

Nov 25, 2014, 6:51 PM EST

Colorado Rapids v Real Salt Lake Getty Images

Eleven players had their options declined on Tuesday, but Colorado says they could be back with the club in January.

16. UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG

Nov 25, 2014, 6:03 PM EST

Recapping all the action from around Europe after a pivotal matchday in UCL play.

17. West Brom, England striker Saido Berahino arrested for drinking and driving

Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST

Chelsea v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League Getty Images

Berahino scored in the next match after his arrest, but has since gone cold.

18. VIDEO: Robbie Rogers discusses new book, coming out on NBC’s “Today”

Nov 25, 2014, 5:32 PM EST

Robbie Rogers, Micheal Azira AP

Rogers talked about how working with gay and lesbian youth organizations made him realize the impact he could make as an openly-gay player.

19. Manchester City ready for almighty clash with AS Roma for last 16 spot

Nov 25, 2014, 5:22 PM EST

Frank Lampard Frank Lampard

City’s late show sets up pulsating clash in the Italian capital next month.

20. Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline

Nov 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EST

Sergio Aguero Sergio Aguero

Citizens grab last-gasp win to boost their chances of making the last 16.

Week 12: Premier League recap