David Beckham retires from soccer

May 16, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT

Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion. Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion.

David Beckham’s glittering career as the world’s most recognizable soccer player is over.

This morning the 38-year-old Englishman announced his retirement from the game, after winning the French league title with Paris Saint-Germain.

The former Manchester United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and PSG player has become not only one of the greatest names in world soccer but also a global icon.

After captaining his country for many years, Beckham also became the first English player to win league titles in four different countries.

Beckham released the following statement, confirming his retirement from the game.

“I’m thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level,” Beckham said.

“If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I’m fortunate to have realized those dreams.”

(PHOTOS: The life and times of David Beckham)

Beckham’s time with the English national team was monumental, winning a record 115 caps as an outfield player and he reflected on his success with England.

“To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country,” Beckham said. “I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country.”

The former Major League Soccer star then went on to send out one last thanks to those closest to him.

(MORE: Beckham’s five biggest moments in U.S. Socccer)

“I’m honored to represent England both on and off the pitch … I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.”

Beckham will retire after Paris Saint-Germain’s final game of the French season, when they travel to Lorient on Sunday May 26.

It will be the final game in his storybook career.

(MORE: Bigger impact on game’s growth here, Beckham or Pele?)

(MORE: Beckham’s most memorable moments on the world stage)

(MORE: Emotional Beckham says now is the time to retire)

Latest Posts
  1. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

2. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

3. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

4. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

5. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

6. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

7. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

8. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

9. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

10. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

11. Michel Platini denies making ebola comments which angered African Confederation

Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT

Platini Getty Images

The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.

12. Setting the scene at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League

Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID

Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

13. FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League returns for Wednesday slate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Ronaldo Getty Images

With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?

14. Robinho being investigated for sexually assaulting teenager

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Robinho Getty Images

This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.

15. David Villa’s time in Australia could be up already

Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Villa Getty Images

NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.

16. WATCH: Geoff Cameron says he’s fighting for a central position

Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Cameron Getty Images

Now that he’s back from a hernia problem, the American told Stoke’s YouTube channel that he is no longer a right-back and the club is aware of where he wants to play.

17. Men in Blazers podcast: Whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, Klinsmann-Garber, plus Josh Lambo

Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo gain whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, and the Jurgen Klinsmann-Don Garber saga.

18. Portland Timbers out of CONCACAF CL after loss in Honduras

Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

TimbersOlimpia Getty Images

The MLS side was eliminated from group stage play on an away goals tiebreaker as Honduran side Olimpia goes through.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?