David Beckham retires from soccer

May 16, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT

Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion. Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion.

David Beckham’s glittering career as the world’s most recognizable soccer player is over.

This morning the 38-year-old Englishman announced his retirement from the game, after winning the French league title with Paris Saint-Germain.

The former Manchester United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and PSG player has become not only one of the greatest names in world soccer but also a global icon.

After captaining his country for many years, Beckham also became the first English player to win league titles in four different countries.

Beckham released the following statement, confirming his retirement from the game.

“I’m thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level,” Beckham said.

“If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I’m fortunate to have realized those dreams.”

(PHOTOS: The life and times of David Beckham)

Beckham’s time with the English national team was monumental, winning a record 115 caps as an outfield player and he reflected on his success with England.

“To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country,” Beckham said. “I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country.”

The former Major League Soccer star then went on to send out one last thanks to those closest to him.

(MORE: Beckham’s five biggest moments in U.S. Socccer)

“I’m honored to represent England both on and off the pitch … I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.”

Beckham will retire after Paris Saint-Germain’s final game of the French season, when they travel to Lorient on Sunday May 26.

It will be the final game in his storybook career.

(MORE: Bigger impact on game’s growth here, Beckham or Pele?)

(MORE: Beckham’s most memorable moments on the world stage)

(MORE: Emotional Beckham says now is the time to retire)

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Southampton set to swap Dani Osvaldo for Inter Milan’s Saphir Taidar

Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT

Norwich City v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.

2. Luis Felipe Scolari hired by Gremio for third stint with Brazilian club

Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Brazil - 2014 FIFA World Cup Training Camp - Day 1 Getty Images

Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.

3. WATCH: Bojan Krkic scores first goal for Stoke City in 2-1 defeat to Schalke

Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Bojan Krkic AP

Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.

4. Report: Carlos Tevez’ stepfather freed by Argentine kidnappers

Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT

Juventus v Atalanta BC - Serie A Getty Images

Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).

5. Southampton chairman claims club will reinvest $165M in this transfer window

Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

Saints have a new Saints have a new

“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.

6. Ronaldinho leaves Atletico Mineiro, could be headed to MLS

Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Brazil Atletico Mineiro Ronaldinho AP

Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.

7. WATCH: Five international, MLS games coming your way on NBC Sports this week

Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.

8. New York City FC sign Jacobson from Dallas, linked with Alberto Aquilani

Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT

Montreal Impact v FC Dallas AP

Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?

9. Morgan Schneiderlin slams Southampton after Spurs move is blocked

Jul 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Southampton v Fulham - Premier League Getty Images

Now Schneiderlin wants out as Saints’ incredible exodus continues to take a turn for the worst.

10. Barcelona reveal record income levels of $711 million

Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Manchester City v Barcelona - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Getty Images

Despite not winning any silverware last season, Barcelona were big winners off the pitch.

11. Report: Carlos Tevez’s father kidnapped, held for ransom

Jul 29, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Tevez’s father, Juan Carlos Cabral, is said to have been kidnapped in Buenos Aires and held for ransom.

12. Southampton insist Rodriguez, Schneiderlin are not for sale

Jul 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

350x AP

Southampton duo are going nowhere, despite being linked with Tottenham switch.

13. Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi

Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

Source: Liverpool FC Source: Liverpool FC

Liverpool sign talented Belgian teenager, will loan him back to Lille this season.

14. Despite calling African players “banana eaters”, Tavecchio still set to lead Italian FA

Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

Italy Federation Racism AP

Even after calling African players “banana eaters” this man is set lead the Italian FA.

15. Enner Valencia granted work permit, completes $20 million West Ham move

Jul 29, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Source: West Ham United Source: West Ham United

Valencia finally signs on, as Hammers splash the cash in search of goals.

16. Miami’s MLS future continues to hinge on downtown stadium deal

Jul 29, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Miami's Arquietectonica and 360 Architecture Miami's Arquietectonica and 360 Architecture

Garber: “MLS will not expand to Miami unless we have a downtown site for the stadium.”

17. Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal

Jul 29, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-EVERTON-NEWCASTLE Getty Images

Howard to call games, be studio analyst, for up to 10 PL games on NBC Sports this season.

18. VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin

Jul 29, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT

BtrlWjcCcAAahX9

A shoving match or something more sinister in Seattle?

19. Report: Marco Reus chased by Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich

Jul 29, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT

FBL-GER-SUPERCUP-DORTMUND-BAYERN Getty Images

Borussia Dortmund star turns down new deal, alerts European giants.