David Beckham retires from soccer

May 16, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT

Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion. Just 11 months ago, Beckham was walking off the StubHub Center field, and MLS champion.

David Beckham’s glittering career as the world’s most recognizable soccer player is over.

This morning the 38-year-old Englishman announced his retirement from the game, after winning the French league title with Paris Saint-Germain.

The former Manchester United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and PSG player has become not only one of the greatest names in world soccer but also a global icon.

After captaining his country for many years, Beckham also became the first English player to win league titles in four different countries.

Beckham released the following statement, confirming his retirement from the game.

“I’m thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level,” Beckham said.

“If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I’m fortunate to have realized those dreams.”

(PHOTOS: The life and times of David Beckham)

Beckham’s time with the English national team was monumental, winning a record 115 caps as an outfield player and he reflected on his success with England.

“To this day, one of my proudest achievements is captaining my country,” Beckham said. “I knew every time I wore the Three Lions shirt, I was not only following in a long line of great players, I was also representing every fan that cared passionately about their country.”

The former Major League Soccer star then went on to send out one last thanks to those closest to him.

(MORE: Beckham’s five biggest moments in U.S. Socccer)

“I’m honored to represent England both on and off the pitch … I want to thank all my team-mates, the great managers that I had the pleasure of learning from. I also want to thank the fans who have all supported me and given me the strength to succeed.”

Beckham will retire after Paris Saint-Germain’s final game of the French season, when they travel to Lorient on Sunday May 26.

It will be the final game in his storybook career.

(MORE: Bigger impact on game’s growth here, Beckham or Pele?)

(MORE: Beckham’s most memorable moments on the world stage)

(MORE: Emotional Beckham says now is the time to retire)

Latest Posts
  1. Mic check: Clint Dempsey takes the stage at FIFA15 event

Sep 19, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.00.37 PM

Win U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday. Drop a few bars in New York on Thursday. You know: #JustClintDempseyThings.

2. CCL: Two goals from Toni push Sporting Kansas City past Saprissa

Sep 18, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT

Sporting Kansas City logo

Sporting took a big step toward getting out of Group 2 thanks to its Spanish winger.

3. Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire

Sep 18, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT

photo (1)

Awkward bounces made a disorganized El Tri look awful and the high-powered USWNT look pedestrian in a 4-0 decision on Thursday night.

4. MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem

Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.

5. MLS Preview: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids

Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT

Portland Timbers v Real Salt Lake Getty Images

NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.

6. FA chairman: England “might well bid for” Euro 2028

Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT

greg_dyke Getty Images

It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.

7. Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road

Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

seamus_coleman AP

Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.

8. It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo

Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

don_garber_mls_logo AP

MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.

9. Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up

Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Manchester United v Queens Park Rangers - Premier League Getty Images

With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.

10. Reactions to “MLS Next” as North America’s top-flight launches rebrand

Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?

11. Arsene Wenger’s biggest regret is missing out on Cristiano Ronaldo

Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Everton v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”

12. Auf Wiedersehen! Felix Magath out as Fulham boss after terrible tenure

Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

STOKE ON TRENT, ENGLAND - MAY 03: Fulham manager Felix Magath reacts as his side are relegated following their defeat in the Barclays Premier League match between Stoke City and Fulham at the Britannia Stadium on May 3, 2014 in Stoke on Trent, England. Getty Images

After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.

13. Brendan Rodgers on Liverpool’s growing pains: “There’s no magic formula”

Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

There's nothing nice about watching your side squander a three goal lead to end up with a draw. Getty Images

Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?

14. Europa League preview: Will Everton, Tottenham reach knockout stages?

Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

tim_howard Getty Images

Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.

15. Taking back time: FIFA says officials must return expensive watches

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Brazil v Germany: Semi Final - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.

16. Arsenal linked with three free agents, as defensive woes continue

Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT

FC Lokomotiv Moscow v FC Zenit St. Petersburg - Premier League Getty Images

Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?

17. Ole Gunnar is gone: Solksjaer out as Cardiff City manager

Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.

18. Chelsea have Diego Costa injury concern

Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Chelsea FC v FC Schalke 04 - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.

19. PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think?

Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT

MLSLogoEdit1

What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?

20. US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners

Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT

Michael Orozco, Mix Diskerud, Matej vydra AP

Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea