May 16, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
U.S. Soccer released its full roster for two upcoming friendlies and three World Cup qualifiers over the next six weeks. Here are the major discussion points:
- As expected, the roster is beefier than usual, including 28 invitees. That is mostly to account for eight players sitting on yellow cards, which threatens to leave Klinsmann’s side short if a couple of the wrong men pick up bookings during one of the first two World Cup qualifiers in June. (The team plays three qualifiers in June.)
- The camp opens in Cleveland on May 26 rather than a few days earlier in California as previously planned. With so many players preparing to stagger into the camp late anyway (mostly due to ongoing club commitments), and recognizing a need for extra rest for others, Klinsmann adjusted his original intent.
- Jozy Altidore reports on May 26, which means U.S. Soccer the young striker’s Dutch club did reach accord after all. Isn’t it great when all the kids play nicely in the sandbox?
- Sean Johnson (May 26-30), Bill Hamid (May 30-June 2), Tally Hall (June 2-June 8) and Nick Rimando (June 9-19) will all rotate through camp as the third goalkeeper behind Tim Howard (pictured along with Eddie Johnson) and Brad Guzan. It’s a novel approach – but one that helps keep the players in the U.S. fold, while helping to minimize distraction to their clubs.
- As expected, Landon Donovan is not on the roster. We’ve chewed up that ground pretty good … but why let that stop us. Stay tuned for more on that one …
- Steve Cherundolo is not on the roster.
More on that later, too… (UPDATED: More on that right here)
A whole kit and caboodle of roster notes from U.S. Soccer can be found here. Meanwhile, the U.S. roster announced today:
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg)
Midfielders: Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)
Look for updates and for more on Thursday’s announcement later today at PST.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Two Bradleys, two from Crew SC and two from the Dynamo — the latest MLS Team of the Week.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Yes, rumors know no season, but the transfer mill will churn out a lot less gossip after Tuesday’s end of the summer transfer season.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
Manchester United and Real Madrid have swapped goalkeepers, with the Premier League side landing a load of dough, too.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
The UEFA Champions League clubs don’t find themselves well-represented in the Premier League Team of the Week after a weekend of shocks around Britain.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
We’re still waiting to see whether Javier Hernandez seals his move to Bayer Leverkusen. “Chicharito” has been spotted around Bayer HQ.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The Black Panther is doing more than simply prowling; He is finishing his chances with style.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
The 2006 World Cup champion will organize Miami FC for co-owner Paolo Maldini during the club’s first season in the NASL.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look back at the PL weekend.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
It looks like we’re headed for a bonkers Transfer Deadline Day on Tuesday, and a trio of Premier League teams might be doing some under-the-radar business on Monday.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
With the transfer deadline approaching its Tuesday conclusion, deals and rumored deals are hitting the headlines at a head-spinning rate.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
This Little Pea went to market, reportedly finding a new home in the Bundesliga (And did he really ask for $135k per goal from West Ham?).
Aug 31, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
The French federation says Martial was given permission to leave camp by Didier Deschamps, and that he’ll sign a contract with United.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
A complete performance from the Red Bulls, who will finish the season unbeaten against their Atlantic Cup rivals.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Find out what moves have been completed with the transfer deadline approaching, as Wolfsburg made three big deals today.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
More than 64,000 supporters packed CenturyLink Field as the Sounders downed the Timbers in a Cascadia Cup clash.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Catch up on all of this weekend’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
Aug 30, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
The French winger has played for Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus, and now Bayern Munich. All before his 20th birthday.
Aug 30, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Tim Howard and Geoff Cameron are back in the squad, while the relatively unknown Andrew Wooten gets his first call-up.
Aug 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
In a managerial battle between the young Garry Monk and the veteran Louis van Gaal, the kid came out on top.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
After losing three matches all of last season, Juventus has now lost their first two games of the new campaign.
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 3
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 1
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2