May 16, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
Brad Guzan just had the season of a lifetime with Aston Villa, displacing incumbent veteran Shay Given early in the process and then proceeding to save the Villa bacon time and again, providing Paul Lambert’s young men some time to grow into their feet.
Thanks in tremendous part to the club’s Player of the Year, the men of Villa Park live to fight another day in the vaunted Premiership.
And then Guzan stacked more check marks beside the 2013 report card with a pair of inspiring performances in U.S. goal, both in potentially nervy World Cup qualifiers. How sure handed did the guy look against the white (and probably treacherous) backdrop of snow-covered DSG Park against Costa Rica? And a few days later down in Cauldron Azteca, didn’t Guzan strike you as a man who has been doing this for years and years?
Yawn. … Stretch. … Collect another shutout at Azteca. … “Hey, boys, where ya’ll want to eat tonight?”
So it set the wonder wheel to whirring, didn’t it? Would Jurgen Klinsmann think about a shift in the goalkeeping order? A “shift” that would fall under the “seismic” category, by the way, considering that Howard has been the program’s No. 1 since 2007.
As shifts go, that would be like moving the national team’s training base from sunny Southern California to Wichita, Kan. And yet we began to wonder. Hmmmm …
Nah. Everton’s No. 1 remains the U.S. program’s No. 1. It’s trusty Timmy all the way, says Klinsmann. From a U.S. Soccer Q&A with Klinsmann that tumbled out today, alongside the 28-man roster announcement.
We are in a great position with our goalies. We are thrilled with Tim Howard and Brad Guzan and how they are doing with their clubs in the Premier League. I’ve said it many times: Tim Howard deserves to be in the top five in the world and Brad Guzan is catching up.”
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)