Brek Shea in trouble? After crazy Stoke City prank goes wrong

May 17, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT

Chivas USA v FC Dallas Getty Images

Oh dear, oh dear.

Stoke City striker Kenywne Jones is not a happy bunny at all. And who would be after this.

Surely this is one of the most bizarre incidents to occur in the Stoke City locker room…scratch that, any locker room, this season, as the Trinidad and Tobago striker reportedly opened up his locker to find a severed pig’s head staring back at him.

The towering striker wasn’t happy and duly smashed the windscreen of midfielder Glenn Whelan’s car with a brick.

The club have launched an investigation.

What does USMNT star Brek Shea have to do with all this I hear you ask… Well, Mr. Shea sent out a picture on Instagram, holding the pig’s head in front of his face with the caption, “Locker room banter gone wild!!! #SAW”

(Warning: If you click on the link, Shea’s picture contains graphic images that may be offensive.)

Gone wild indeed. Jones certainly wasn’t happy with what he saw. And his girlfriend sent out the following message via Twitter.

Shea is now at the center of an investigation into the silly going’s on this week, with Michael Owen already having his car trashed amongst other things, with Stoke’s players clearly taking the “pranks” too far.

Could we see Shea heading out of the Britannia Stadium in the next few months after this prank went horribly wrong? Probably not. Manager Tony Pulis is actually planning to use Shea this weekend in the final game of the season vs. Southampton.

But I’m not sure his part in this prank did the USMNT winger any favors, after he’s already failed to cement a place in the Stoke City lineup since his mid-season move from FC Dallas.

Simple message kids: think before you prank.

1. mkbryant3 - May 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Mountain out of a mole hill. People need to get a sense of humor. Here I was thinking someone got killed or injured.

• kuhjon - May 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I actually have to disagree about this. Regardless of sense of humor, or humour (given the location), I think many people would be upset to find a pig head in their locker. The girlfriend mentions something about religious insensitivity, too, which might have played a part in Jones getting upset.

• randomhookup - May 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

He’s a Rastafarian and they abstain from pork. Looks like his girlfriend is probably Muslim, based on her name.

Some people have a sensitive spot and religious beliefs can often be a big part of that.

• ntg98 - May 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I originally saw this on ESPN, and I was hoping PST would have something about what was so insensitive about it since they usually do.

So is it racist or sexist or ageist or eye-colorist or fingernail-sizeist or what?

2. kuhjon - May 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

“What does USMNT star Brek Shea have to do with all this I hear you ask…?”

The answer is he tweeted a photo. That’s it. Not a single write-up of these goings on has implicated Brek in the prank or suggested he’ll be dealing with blowback. Well, except this one, for no reason other than that there is an American audience I guess.

3. billobrienschindimple - May 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Simple message kids: think before you prank.

Indeed. When I used to coach I would tell my players at the end of practice on Friday to enjoy the weekend, but be careful. If you or your friends are doing something you think is funny, you probably shouldn’t be doing it. Alas, with high school kids, they would still do really stupid shite and then be shocked when I would have to suspend them a game or more. What they never realized was that my suspensions, when they were needed, were saving them from the wrath of the AD, who was the former football coach and did not care for soccer.

• pensfan603 - May 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Ill be honest even if its a bad prank you still shouldnt be throwing bricks through peoples cars i mean who would do that?, nonw if its insesitive, ok thats bad, they probably deserve a good fine, and probably should be transfered but still.. throwing a brick through someones car really makes me wonder..

4. lawson1974 - Jun 26, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Sounds to me like Jones has an anger management problem.

Week 8: Saturday PL recap