May 17, 2013, 7:31 AM EST
Various reports this morning are speculating the future of Chivas USA.
With attendances down 38 percent, no local TV deal in place and the Goats sitting in last place in the Western conference, rumors of Major League Soccer stepping in and buying out owner Jorge Vergara persist.
This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this kind of talk.
Remember a few weeks ago when the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim, was said to be interested in acquiring the Chivas brand from Vergara? Well he could be back in. Big time.
A tweet from New York based sports agent Ron Waxman — who is agent to former USMNT coach Bob Bradley and current Chivas ‘keeper Dan Kennedy amongst others — gives the details of a deal between Slim and MLS.
So yeah, it’s at a very ‘he said,’ then ‘she said’ stage. But still, these rumors keep persisting and the stats are there for everyone to see. Reports out of Mexico believe a deal could be reached later today.
However last week MLS did comment on the matter, saying rumors regarding Chivas’ future were “incorrect” and that the league was “supportive of Chivas USA’s plans.”
But reports from several sources this morning suggest that couldn’t be further from the truth.
According to Mexican newspaper Record, Chivas USA owner Vergara will sell the club to the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim, as early as this afternoon. It also states that this season would be Chivas USA’s last season in existence. Possibly moving the franchise to New York City, Miami or re-branding it in Los Angeles.
Everything is up in the air.
Slim is said to have negotiated the sale of his two Liga MX clubs, Pachuca and León, with Chivas’ supporters begging for some transparency regarding the franchises future. The ‘Goat Parade’ blog spells out the story and examines the clubs future.
This whole situation has got very messy, very quickly.
So many rumors are flying around, it is difficult to know their validity and strength. However, one thing is for certain.
The future of Chivas USA is hanging in the balance. Their fans need answers. Now.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''