May 17, 2013, 7:31 AM EDT
Various reports this morning are speculating the future of Chivas USA.
With attendances down 38 percent, no local TV deal in place and the Goats sitting in last place in the Western conference, rumors of Major League Soccer stepping in and buying out owner Jorge Vergara persist.
This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this kind of talk.
Remember a few weeks ago when the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim, was said to be interested in acquiring the Chivas brand from Vergara? Well he could be back in. Big time.
A tweet from New York based sports agent Ron Waxman — who is agent to former USMNT coach Bob Bradley and current Chivas ‘keeper Dan Kennedy amongst others — gives the details of a deal between Slim and MLS.
So yeah, it’s at a very ‘he said,’ then ‘she said’ stage. But still, these rumors keep persisting and the stats are there for everyone to see. Reports out of Mexico believe a deal could be reached later today.
However last week MLS did comment on the matter, saying rumors regarding Chivas’ future were “incorrect” and that the league was “supportive of Chivas USA’s plans.”
But reports from several sources this morning suggest that couldn’t be further from the truth.
According to Mexican newspaper Record, Chivas USA owner Vergara will sell the club to the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim, as early as this afternoon. It also states that this season would be Chivas USA’s last season in existence. Possibly moving the franchise to New York City, Miami or re-branding it in Los Angeles.
Everything is up in the air.
Slim is said to have negotiated the sale of his two Liga MX clubs, Pachuca and León, with Chivas’ supporters begging for some transparency regarding the franchises future. The ‘Goat Parade’ blog spells out the story and examines the clubs future.
This whole situation has got very messy, very quickly.
So many rumors are flying around, it is difficult to know their validity and strength. However, one thing is for certain.
The future of Chivas USA is hanging in the balance. Their fans need answers. Now.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations