May 17, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
It’s one of those rumors that has popped up in the past.
But this time, it has more solidity.
Diego Forlán has found his way back to South America for the last few years of his career with Internacional but speaking on a local radio station, Forlán professed his love for MLS.
“I would like to go to MLS. There have been no offers in the past. I have been their on holiday many times. It is a country I like a lot and would love to go there.”
Well now, that is interesting.
Obviously some emphasis may be lost in translation. But we get the main point. Forlán is open to a move to MLS.
So that begs the question: Would the 2010 World Cup player of the tournament have a similar impact to other veteran strikers in Thierry Henry or Robbie Keane? Or would he be another Freddie Ljungberg or Rafael Marquez?
What do you think?
Personally, I haven’t seen him play recently and don’t know what shape or form he is in. But what I do know: the guy is a workhorse who can finish. He went through a long barren spell at Manchester United when he first arrived in the EPL. But then he couldn’t stop scoring.
Then at Villarreal and Atletico Madrid he elevated himself into one of European soccer’s leading marksmen.
If that is the Diego Forlán on offer, then any MLS team should snap him up.
His salary would demand DP status. So there are a few clubs that spring to mind where Forlán would perhaps not fit in. His current salary in Brazil equates to roughly $2.5 million. An offer around that would be incredibly feasible for most MLS sides who are looking for a Designated Player.
Watch this space.. And oh yeah, watch this video below of his best moments from the 2010 World Cup.
Would love to see the long blonde locks of Forlán in MLS. Let’s hope this isn’t just silly season getting slightly out of hand, and it’s something more substantial.
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 0
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 1
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 1
- United States defeats Germany, advances to Women’s World Cup final 17
- Reports: Galaxy on verge of landing El Tri star Dos Santos as “core player” 9