May 17, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
If you watched Columbus forward slug Colorado defender Drew Moor last weekend, you might have suspected the Crew man was in trouble.
If you knew the history here as it relates to Moor, you knew so.
See, Moor was suspended two matches in late March for something that looked way too similar. Similar like the Olsen twins, in fact.
Back on March 24, Moor delivered a little of the nasty business to LA Galaxy midfielder Marcelo Sarvas. As for Arrieta swinging away last Saturday during the Rapids’ 2-0 win…
So, sure enough, the disciplinary hammer fell Friday, although the second match in this two-game measure is under appeal. Arrieta will sit out Saturday’s contest at Toronto FC. From the league:
The MLS Disciplinary Committee has suspended Columbus Crew forward Jairo Arrieta for two games and fined him an undisclosed amount for violent conduct that endangered the safety of his opponent, Colorado Rapids defender Drew Moor, in the 18th minute of their game on May 11
“Today the MLS Players Union informed the League that Arrieta will appeal the second game of the suspension. Arrieta will serve the first game of his suspension this Saturday when the Crew play at Toronto FC. The result of the appeal of the second game’s suspension will be announced at a later date.”
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 34 0
- Watch Live: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0