May 18, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
(UPDATED, 6:03 p.m. ET)
Paris Saint-Germain still has one match remaining in the Ligue 1 season, which means David Beckham has one more opportunity to spray those signature right-footed passes for the French champions before retirement becomes official.
But events of Saturday evening at Paris’ Parc des Princes Stadium sure had the feel of farewell.
It may indeed have been the last kick of a ball for Beckham. So said a report earlier today in England’s Daily Mail, which cited sources close to the player as revealing Saturday’s match in the French capital would be his last.
Below is the video as Beckham left the field – the home ground of the last stop on a gloriously storied career – for the final time. Beckham was clearly emotional as he embraced his teammates first, and then members of PSG’s managerial staff.
Beckham’s wife, Victoria, and former French president Nicolas Sarkozy were there to watch as PSG players repeatedly threw their captain-for-the-day into the air in celebration.
Either way, Beckham had the captain’s armband as PSG cruised to comfortable 3-1 victory against the overmatched last-place club from Brest.
The 38-year-old, one-time England captain announced Thursday he would retire at the end of the season. PSG’s last match is May 26 at Lorient.
What Beckham said on the field following post-game celebrations: ”To finish my career here couldn’t have been anymore special.”
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad