May 18, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
(UPDATED, 6:03 p.m. ET)
Paris Saint-Germain still has one match remaining in the Ligue 1 season, which means David Beckham has one more opportunity to spray those signature right-footed passes for the French champions before retirement becomes official.
But events of Saturday evening at Paris’ Parc des Princes Stadium sure had the feel of farewell.
It may indeed have been the last kick of a ball for Beckham. So said a report earlier today in England’s Daily Mail, which cited sources close to the player as revealing Saturday’s match in the French capital would be his last.
Below is the video as Beckham left the field – the home ground of the last stop on a gloriously storied career – for the final time. Beckham was clearly emotional as he embraced his teammates first, and then members of PSG’s managerial staff.
Beckham’s wife, Victoria, and former French president Nicolas Sarkozy were there to watch as PSG players repeatedly threw their captain-for-the-day into the air in celebration.
Either way, Beckham had the captain’s armband as PSG cruised to comfortable 3-1 victory against the overmatched last-place club from Brest.
The 38-year-old, one-time England captain announced Thursday he would retire at the end of the season. PSG’s last match is May 26 at Lorient.
What Beckham said on the field following post-game celebrations: ”To finish my career here couldn’t have been anymore special.”
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 1
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)