May 18, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
Remember when the Houston Dynamo could not lose at home, building that league record 36-game unbeaten streak?
Now, suddenly, it seems that Dominic Kinnear’s team cannot win at home! Nor even score a goal.
The Dynamo fell Saturday at BBVA Compass Stadium for the second time in six nights. The latest loss, 2-0 to the New England Revolution, comes after Sunday’s record-snapping setback against Sporting Kansas City (a 1-0 score).
For the visitors, this was surely one of the best wins for Jay Heaps (pictured), still one of the league’s youngest coaches, now in his second year at New England. It was the third win this year for his Revs and the second on the road.
New England’s other win away from suburban Boston this year was in Chicago, where the Fire is having all kinds of issues this year. So, a win in Houston at BBVA Compass Stadium, by two goals no less, represents far greater achievement.
Two other points to consider from Saturday’s match in South Texas: U.S. international Juan Agudelo got his first minutes in the Revolution colors, playing 55 minutes after entering for the injured Ryan Guy. He had a big part in Houston’s second goal and did a lot of work throughout his shift in battling Houston defenders through the night.
Speaking of “battling” and Houston defenders, a couple of figures got just a little too combative. Revolution striker Dimitry Imbongo Boele and Dynamo veteran center back Bobby Boswell got involved in a little skirmish in front of Houston goal. Referee Edvin Jurisevic ejected both men, creating a 10-on-10 situation that left plenty of open field, and room for opportunities on either side.
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 6
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 2
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 2
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 4