May 18, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Seems like we’re saying the same thing every week:
Jack McInerney scores. And his goal is the game-winner yet again for Philadelphia.
Thus, “Jack Mac” stacks yet another achievement on this magical season full of them. His header from in close Saturday at PPL Park is No. 8 this year, tops in MLS.
The young striker’s fifth game-winning goal this year is also a league leader, demonstrating again that his breakout campaign is not one skewed by any stat-padding.
Heck, Philadelphia doesn’t score enough to have any real stat-padding opportunities; McInerney has 8 of his team’s 14 goals this year, or close to 60 percent.
The 20-year-old Union man wasn’t just accurate near goal in Saturday’s 1-0 win over increasingly distressed Chicago. His work in the underneath role, behind Casey Conner, was solid all night.
In fact, while the Union didn’t handle their lead or their man advantage very well – Wells Thompson was thrown out in the 63rd for Chicago – they were pretty good over the final 10 minutes in guiding all three points home. McInerney’s role was important during that stretch, as he dropped well into the midfield to help keep the ball moving and keep it away from the understandably wilting visitors.
Here are the full highlights Saturday from PPL Park, where the Union won for just the second time in six matches this year.
- Monday’s transfer rumor roundup: Canada youngster to West Ham, 3-team fight for Coentrao 0
- Premier League Playback: When will Arsenal, Liverpool snap out of their funk? 1
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 3
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0