May 18, 2013, 6:44 PM EDT
(UPDATED at 8:35 p.m. ET)
It does seem a bit odd, doesn’t it, that all this is happening for David Beckham in a uniform he has so scarcely worn?
When we think of Beckham, we think of him in the Manchester United jersey, or in the Three Lions kit of his England homeland, or perhaps in the colors of Real Madrid or even the LA Galaxy.
But Paris Saint-Germain? A place where he barely topped a dozen appearances?
Either way, Saturday’s appearance at Parc des Princes does now appear to be the man’s “adieu” match. Beckham seems unlikely to take the field again as PSG finishes the season with a road match next week at Lorient.
Said PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi after the post-game celebrations late Saturday in the French capital: “It’s up to the coach, but I think that will be David’s last match.”
Beckham said after the game and he did not know whether he would play next week. As we said in the previous post, it certainly sounds like “farewell.”
Said Beckham, addressing the Parc des Princes supporters after Saturday’s match: “I want to say thank you to everybody in Paris, to my teammates, to the staff, to the fans. It’s been very special to finish my career here. It could not have been any more special.
“I just feel that it’s the right time. I feel that I’ve achieved everything that I could in my career. I wanted to go out as a champion. I’ve finished my career in a team that has treated me like I’ve been here for 10 years.”
Watch again as Beckham departs the field for the last time, substituted off in the 81st minute, and clearly emotional as he walks off.
- Next step: Las Vegas soccer stadium moves forward, but there’s a catch 1
- Lionel Messi heading to PSG, Chelsea? Not so fast, say Barcelona 1
- $88 million Edinson Cavani linked to Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United 3
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 6