May 18, 2013, 6:44 PM EST
(UPDATED at 8:35 p.m. ET)
It does seem a bit odd, doesn’t it, that all this is happening for David Beckham in a uniform he has so scarcely worn?
When we think of Beckham, we think of him in the Manchester United jersey, or in the Three Lions kit of his England homeland, or perhaps in the colors of Real Madrid or even the LA Galaxy.
But Paris Saint-Germain? A place where he barely topped a dozen appearances?
Either way, Saturday’s appearance at Parc des Princes does now appear to be the man’s “adieu” match. Beckham seems unlikely to take the field again as PSG finishes the season with a road match next week at Lorient.
Said PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi after the post-game celebrations late Saturday in the French capital: “It’s up to the coach, but I think that will be David’s last match.”
Beckham said after the game and he did not know whether he would play next week. As we said in the previous post, it certainly sounds like “farewell.”
Said Beckham, addressing the Parc des Princes supporters after Saturday’s match: “I want to say thank you to everybody in Paris, to my teammates, to the staff, to the fans. It’s been very special to finish my career here. It could not have been any more special.
“I just feel that it’s the right time. I feel that I’ve achieved everything that I could in my career. I wanted to go out as a champion. I’ve finished my career in a team that has treated me like I’ve been here for 10 years.”
Watch again as Beckham departs the field for the last time, substituted off in the 81st minute, and clearly emotional as he walks off.
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 3
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0