May 18, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Nice, isn’t it, when the pretty goals also have a real significance?
Vancouver is in its third season of Major League Soccer play, and yet the Whitecaps had previously never held a lead over Portland. The Timbers have pounded out a real domination in this corner of the Cascadia series.
So it was a big crowd pleaser on two fronts when Whitecaps’ forward Camilo stroked an unstoppable free kick into the upper right hand corner in the first half against Portland.
By the way, Camilo was also responsible for creating the free kick right outside Portland’s penalty area. He cut cleverly in front of Portland midfielder Will Johnson, who was pursuing the play from behind. Johnson collected a yellow card for fouling the Brazilian, who was playing a different role Saturday, stationed as the Whitecaps’ highest man on the field at striker.
Here’s the goal:
- Report: Ajax accepts $23 mil Daley Blind bid from Manchester United 0
- Watch Live: Burnley vs. Manchester United (Lineups) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 3 0
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 5
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 1