May 18, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Nice, isn’t it, when the pretty goals also have a real significance?
Vancouver is in its third season of Major League Soccer play, and yet the Whitecaps had previously never held a lead over Portland. The Timbers have pounded out a real domination in this corner of the Cascadia series.
So it was a big crowd pleaser on two fronts when Whitecaps’ forward Camilo stroked an unstoppable free kick into the upper right hand corner in the first half against Portland.
By the way, Camilo was also responsible for creating the free kick right outside Portland’s penalty area. He cut cleverly in front of Portland midfielder Will Johnson, who was pursuing the play from behind. Johnson collected a yellow card for fouling the Brazilian, who was playing a different role Saturday, stationed as the Whitecaps’ highest man on the field at striker.
Here’s the goal:
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 3
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars 0
- Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January 1
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0