May 18, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
Nice, isn’t it, when the pretty goals also have a real significance?
Vancouver is in its third season of Major League Soccer play, and yet the Whitecaps had previously never held a lead over Portland. The Timbers have pounded out a real domination in this corner of the Cascadia series.
So it was a big crowd pleaser on two fronts when Whitecaps’ forward Camilo stroked an unstoppable free kick into the upper right hand corner in the first half against Portland.
By the way, Camilo was also responsible for creating the free kick right outside Portland’s penalty area. He cut cleverly in front of Portland midfielder Will Johnson, who was pursuing the play from behind. Johnson collected a yellow card for fouling the Brazilian, who was playing a different role Saturday, stationed as the Whitecaps’ highest man on the field at striker.
Here’s the goal:
- Manchester City 3-0 Crystal Palace: Citizens level with Chelsea, play without a striker 0
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Raheem Sterling named best young player in Europe, wins ‘Golden Boy’ award 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 2
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 2