May 19, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
Heartbreak in Serie A this year belongs to Fiorentina. Halftime on the final day saw the Viola up 3-0, and AC Milan trailing Siena 1-0 – scores which at full time would mean the Rossoneri would miss out on the Champions League next season.
Unfortunately for Fiorentina, Mario Balotelli converted a penalty in the 84th minute to draw level and two minutes later Philippe Mexes slotted home a cross to secure Europe’s top competition for Milan.
Both teams had been reduced to 10 men by the 70th minute, with Massimo Ambrosini and Christian Terlizzi both receiving second yellows within two minutes of each other.
Fiorentina would end up winning 5-1, but Milan had the 2-point advantage going into the final day so additional help was required. Fiorentina did own a goal differential advantage, especially with their 4-goal victory, so a draw would not have been enough for Milan.
Milan will be relieved with the result, as they risked missing out on the Champions League for the first time since the 2008-09 season, and just the third time since the turn of the millennium.
AC Milan have only lost once, to champions Juventus, during the entire 2013 calender year.
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 4
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0