May 19, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
With the final day of the 2012-13 Premier League season set to kick off, the main focus turns to Newcastle v. Arsenal (as well as Tottenham v. Sunderland and Chelsea v. Everton), where the results will decide which club will join Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea in the Champions League.
For Arsenal, the match at Newcastle represents the difference between finishing 3rd place and earning an automatic spot in next fall’s Champions League, finishing 4th place and earning a qualifying spot in the Champions League (requiring more play-in matches), or finishing 5th place and losing out on Europe’s biggest tournament.
The Gunners head into Sunday’s match 4th in the table on 70 points, two points shy of 3rd place Chelsea and one point ahead of 5th place Tottenham. Here’s how the situation breaks down:
- With a victory at Newcastle and a Chelsea loss against Everton, Arsenal will take 3rd place and the coveted automatic Champions League spot.
- With a victory at Newcastle and a Chelsea win against Everton, Arsenal will finish 4th in the table and claim the Champions League qualifying spot.
- With a victory at Newcastle and a Chelsea draw against Everton, things grow more complicated as a playoff match could be required to decide 3rd place. It all comes down to goal differential, where Arsenal enjoying +34 goals on the season, one shy of Chelsea’s mark. If Arsenal beat Newcastle by a single goal and score two more than Chelsea, who must draw with Everton, a playoff match (to be held on May 26th) will be required. Given the goal differential, the situation pans out on a sliding scale of scores. In other words, a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge would require the Gunners to win 2-1, or a 1-1 draw at the Bridge would mean Arsenal would need to win 3-2, and so on.
- If the Gunners draw at Newcastle, they have no chance at a 3rd place finish but could still finish 4th if Tottenham lose or draw with Sunderland. If Spurs beat the Black Cats, however, an Arsenal draw will see the Gunners fall to 5th place and out of a spot in the Champions League.
So, can Arsenal get the job done?
It seems like a foregone conclusion as Newcastle have nothing to play for and have been a disaster at home of late, losing their last two matches at St. James’ Park by a combined 9-0 (to Sunderland and Liverpool). The slaughterings underscore the Magpies leaky defense, which could get even worse this summer as captain Fabricio Colocinni looks poised to leave the club.
Many pundits question whether Alan Pardew’s side will even take this match seriously. Following the Magpies 2-1 victory over QPR last week, the manager celebrated his side’s confirmation of top-flight football by claiming that he didn’t care if his side lost 4-0 to Arsenal on Sunday. Pardew has since recanted such comments, deeming them to merely be a joke. But Spurs fans aren’t laughing as their Champions League lives depend on Newcastle showing up and getting a result.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:56 PM EDT
Two Eastern Conference teams on unbeaten streaks meet at Sporting Park in Kansas City.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The Arsenal captain saw his games drop significantly last season, and would be a fantastic grab for Manchester United.
Aug 1, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
After a very disappointing debut season with Norwich City, the Dutch striker is off to France.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
A head-scratching moment by the New York defender cost him two games, while the ensuing melee dug into the wallets of others.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
With helpful videos, NBC is getting you ready for the upcoming Premier League season just days away!
Aug 1, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Despite reports to the contrary a month ago, it appears the newly-added Crimean clubs will indeed play in the Russian leagues next season.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
After 13 years at Chelsea, there’s a good chance Frank Lampard could play at Stamford Bridge again…in a lighter shade of blue.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
Arsenal, Newcastle and West Ham are among the teams who’ve loaded up on talent.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Myers and actor Daniel Craig were among the luminaries on hand to watch Liverpool take on Manchester City at Yankee Stadium.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Silly season has reached an absurd level, with even sports books creating rumors out of club links.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Birmigham City defender Will Packwood and Southampton goalkeeper Cody Cropper are on the list of U-23 stars preparing for the Bahamas.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Serbia and the Ivory Coast also tab new bosses as the race for continental and world glory continues.
Aug 1, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Fans of Detroit City FC helped raise money for slain Michigan referee John Bieniewicz via a “swear jar”, then saluting him with silent red card salute.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
A great save followed up by an awful rebound, as Hull draws Trencin 0-0 in its Europa League debut.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
West Ham, Crystal Palace and Newcastle have all added players for 2014/15, according to reports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Would City’s best prospects playing in MLS be a boon for the league, or lend the league a minor league image it’s trying to escape?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Alberto Moreno of Sevilla is the key cog of the pair, appearing 40-plus times for Sevilla in its run across La Liga and the Europa League.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Brazilian outlet UOL says Ronaldinho could be on his way to Major League Soccer, as the Red Bulls up the ante in NY rivalry.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:03 AM EDT
A nine-match weekend sees MLS return to NBC, with NBCSN set to broadcast games in Kansas City, San Francisco.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Manager remains insistent the Spanish international will stay at Stamford Bridge.
- Learn the chants for every Premier League team! 1
- Updated team-by-team list of Premier League transfers this summer 3
- US U23 list for Bahamas camp unveiled as Olympic prep continues 0
- New York City FC could be a proving ground for Man City youth 6
- Report: Red Bulls meet Ronaldinho’s reps; Reunion with Henry coming? 1
- MLS weekend preview: Conference leaders, surging Galaxy take to NBC, NBCSN 5