May 19, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
With the final day of the 2012-13 Premier League season set to kick off, the main focus turns to Newcastle v. Arsenal (as well as Tottenham v. Sunderland and Chelsea v. Everton), where the results will decide which club will join Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea in the Champions League.
For Arsenal, the match at Newcastle represents the difference between finishing 3rd place and earning an automatic spot in next fall’s Champions League, finishing 4th place and earning a qualifying spot in the Champions League (requiring more play-in matches), or finishing 5th place and losing out on Europe’s biggest tournament.
The Gunners head into Sunday’s match 4th in the table on 70 points, two points shy of 3rd place Chelsea and one point ahead of 5th place Tottenham. Here’s how the situation breaks down:
- With a victory at Newcastle and a Chelsea loss against Everton, Arsenal will take 3rd place and the coveted automatic Champions League spot.
- With a victory at Newcastle and a Chelsea win against Everton, Arsenal will finish 4th in the table and claim the Champions League qualifying spot.
- With a victory at Newcastle and a Chelsea draw against Everton, things grow more complicated as a playoff match could be required to decide 3rd place. It all comes down to goal differential, where Arsenal enjoying +34 goals on the season, one shy of Chelsea’s mark. If Arsenal beat Newcastle by a single goal and score two more than Chelsea, who must draw with Everton, a playoff match (to be held on May 26th) will be required. Given the goal differential, the situation pans out on a sliding scale of scores. In other words, a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge would require the Gunners to win 2-1, or a 1-1 draw at the Bridge would mean Arsenal would need to win 3-2, and so on.
- If the Gunners draw at Newcastle, they have no chance at a 3rd place finish but could still finish 4th if Tottenham lose or draw with Sunderland. If Spurs beat the Black Cats, however, an Arsenal draw will see the Gunners fall to 5th place and out of a spot in the Champions League.
So, can Arsenal get the job done?
It seems like a foregone conclusion as Newcastle have nothing to play for and have been a disaster at home of late, losing their last two matches at St. James’ Park by a combined 9-0 (to Sunderland and Liverpool). The slaughterings underscore the Magpies leaky defense, which could get even worse this summer as captain Fabricio Colocinni looks poised to leave the club.
Many pundits question whether Alan Pardew’s side will even take this match seriously. Following the Magpies 2-1 victory over QPR last week, the manager celebrated his side’s confirmation of top-flight football by claiming that he didn’t care if his side lost 4-0 to Arsenal on Sunday. Pardew has since recanted such comments, deeming them to merely be a joke. But Spurs fans aren’t laughing as their Champions League lives depend on Newcastle showing up and getting a result.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The midfielder is yet to make a Premier League start this season as rumors surfaced that he could return to Brazil on loan.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Chicago ended their season with a win as Florent Sinama-Pongolle tallied in stoppage time to erase Houston’s first half lead.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
You can watch the match live on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Neil Warnock could be answering to a new boss if American billionaire Josh Harris purchases Palace.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0