May 19, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
With his eye on the imminent vacancy at Real Madrid left by Jose Mourinho’s almost certain departure, Paris Saint-Germain’s mastermind Carlo Ancelotti may now have a large hurdle to get past if he is to land his ideal job in Spain’s capital.
The Italian is on the heels of leading PSG to their first Ligue 1 title in 19 seasons, and he has been widely linked with the Madrid position should Mourinho indeed depart.
Ancelotti had earlier admitted he asked to be released from his contract at PSG, but now club president Nasser al-Khelaifi has said he will not allow his touchline boss to depart.
Khelaifi said to his own media outlet beinsport.fr, “Yes, we had discussions, he asked to depart for Real Madrid. I said it is not possible because he has a contract for one year more, so that is our decision. It is his problem, it is not our problem. We have offered him another year more on his contract as well as the one he has. When you have a contract, everyone is normally obliged to honour that.”
Ancelotti confirmed his meeting with both Khelaifi and the club’s sporting director Leonardo when he said, “I have asked the club to leave and I am waiting for their answer because I am under contract.”
The rumored coaching triangle-swap many people saw happening would see outgoing Chelsea manager Rafa Benitez head to PSG, with Ancelotti finding his way to Milan and Mourinho triumphantly returning to Stamford Bridge. That all could be in doubt now, unless Madrid specifically makes a move to pry Ancelotti away from his contract.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 0
- ProSoccerTalk MLS Team of the Week – Week 6 0
- Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can finish in the top four 4
- Arsenal 3-1 West Ham United: Podolski double puts Gunners back in the win column (video) 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Clint Dempsey 0
- Promotion Watch: Burnley on the cusp of Premier League return 1