May 19, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT
A dull, scoreless first half picked up in the second term as D.C. United grabbed a point against the league’s second-best team and ended their club-record losing streak at 7 matches.
Despite giving up an own goal in the 60th minute as Ethan White deflected a corner into the net, United equalized as Kyle Porter connected from a Chris Pontius cross for his first career MLS goal.
Graham Zusi’s corners, which he collected 12 of to United’s 4, provided many of the chances for Sporting KC.
Kei Kamara made his third substitute appearance for Sporting since returning from his loan spell in the Premier League. He had a chance as the clock wound down, but a few chances in stoppage time went wide, and one was saved well by Bill Hamid.
The result will be a boost for D.C. United manager Ben Olson, who has admitted his job is on the line. Olson subbed on Pontius at halftime, a decision which had obvious impact on the final scoreline.
Sporting had a goal disallowed in the first half, when Ike Opara had a questionable offsides flag go up despite crashing the one-timer into the back of the net. Replays showed Opara was clearly onsides, while Claudio Bieler could have been questionably called on the far post but was not involved in the buildup.
The draw also snapped a 5-match losing streak to Sporting KC for DC.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year