May 19, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
With Arsenal and Tottenham the only teams battling for any meaningful positioning in the Premier League table, the final day still had implications for many teams in the form of placement prize money.
The Barclays Premier League hands out cash prizes for each place in the table, much like the prize money handed out after the final day of a golf tournament.
Fulham, with their convincing 3-0 win on the road at Swansea, jumped from 15th to 12th and grabbed an extra £2.25 million ($3.14 million) in prize money.
On the other side, Newcastle fell 1-0 to Arsenal, which secured Champions League play next season for the Gunners, but also stole about £2.24 million in payout to Newcastle by dropping them from 13th to 16th in the final table.
Other winners include Norwich, who picked up an additional £700,000 ($1.06 million) by beating Manchester City 3-2 and jumping Stoke City to 11th position.
League champions Manchester United banked upwards of £15 million ($22.75 million), while bottomfeeders Queens Park Rangers received just £755,000 ($1.14 million) To see the entire table with each position’s prize money, click here for the Daily Mail story.
- Hull City 1-3 Arsenal: Gunners dominant in first half, cruise past Tigers 0
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 9: FC Dallas’ Fabian Castillo 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 9 0
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Five things to look out for in UEFA Champions League semifinals 2
- Newcastle United standing by Carver through final matches of relegation battle 0