May 19, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
A week ago, league-leading FC Dallas was able to sneak away with a win over D.C. United despite missing some important starters.
Suffice to say, a home match against down-and-out D.C. United is hardly comparable to a road match in Seattle, where Sigi Schmid has his men are playing so well lately. So perhaps Saturday’s result from downtown Seattle shouldn’t be so surprising.
In a contest that was wildly wide open, the Sounders exploited an FCD back line that looked painfully naïve at times, executing good runs to get behind the Western Conference leaders and generally carve up Dallas in a 4-2 win CenturyLink Field.
A match that flew up and down the field included:
- Two goals from U.S. international Eddie Johnson. That doubles his total for 2012.
- A second goal in two matches from new Sounders DP striker Obafemi Martins.
- Important Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso leaving the field before intermission with an undetermined injury. That’s hardly good news as Seattle merges into its busy summer schedule.
- A rare goal scored directly off a corner kick, this one by Dallas’ Brazilian midfielder Michel. It happened a couple of times last year, once against Seattle and once by New York’s Thierry Henry.
- Two teams that combined for 17 shots on goal, above average in the league.
- An ejection that seemed on the harsh side; Dallas’ Blas Perez got his elbow up on Seattle left back Leo Gonzalez, but we see worse fouls every week in MLS that are not a caution, much less a red card.
- A 2-0 lead for Seattle that evaporated as the visitors rallied for the draw, followed quickly by Johnson’s game-winner during a particularly helter-skelter stretch of the match. Johnson was bright and alert all night, doing almost everything he wanted against London Woodberry, the rookie center back filling in for George John.
- Dallas playing a high defensive line – and never quite figuring out that they shouldn’t be. Seattle got behind it time and again.
- The Sounders scoring their 8th goal in two matches.
- The Sounders winning their third consecutive match; that’s the first time it has happened in two years.
Full highlights from a high-scoring Saturday night at CenturyLink Field:
Apr 17, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Week one of the NWSL season sees Seattle atop of the league, but an import from Spain snagged her own headlines for Western New York.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
If Atlanta, Miami aren’t good sports towns, it may not matter. The doubts critics have cast on the league’s Southeast excursion may be irrelevant.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Top four hopes over for Everton?
Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Real win Copa del Rey as Barcelona’s bad run continues:
Apr 16, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
One more spot in MLS’s planned expansion is gone, with Atlanta set to begin play in 2017.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Two late goals gave Sunderland a lead, one City pulled back just before full-time.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Eagles soar to safety, but Everton’s Champions League dreams are in ruins:
Apr 16, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Two of Serie A’s most productive scorers may not be at this summer’s World Cup. Llorente wonders why.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Which Liverpool player picked up the Player of the Week accolade?
Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Both sides look to cash in on matches in hand at the Etihad.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Tim Howard and the Toffees win their eighth-straight game? Watch live online, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Having MLS teams share their home with NFL sides could be a smart move ahead of the next wave of expansion:
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Find out who made the PL Team of the Week, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Two PL matches take place on Wednesday, with both set to impact the top and bottom of the standings:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Are you ready to get ‘Duff-ed?’
Apr 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Watch all 10 PL games across 10 different channels on final day of the season. All the details, right here:
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 0
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 2
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6