May 19, 2013, 12:48 AM EST
A week ago, league-leading FC Dallas was able to sneak away with a win over D.C. United despite missing some important starters.
Suffice to say, a home match against down-and-out D.C. United is hardly comparable to a road match in Seattle, where Sigi Schmid has his men are playing so well lately. So perhaps Saturday’s result from downtown Seattle shouldn’t be so surprising.
In a contest that was wildly wide open, the Sounders exploited an FCD back line that looked painfully naïve at times, executing good runs to get behind the Western Conference leaders and generally carve up Dallas in a 4-2 win CenturyLink Field.
A match that flew up and down the field included:
- Two goals from U.S. international Eddie Johnson. That doubles his total for 2012.
- A second goal in two matches from new Sounders DP striker Obafemi Martins.
- Important Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso leaving the field before intermission with an undetermined injury. That’s hardly good news as Seattle merges into its busy summer schedule.
- A rare goal scored directly off a corner kick, this one by Dallas’ Brazilian midfielder Michel. It happened a couple of times last year, once against Seattle and once by New York’s Thierry Henry.
- Two teams that combined for 17 shots on goal, above average in the league.
- An ejection that seemed on the harsh side; Dallas’ Blas Perez got his elbow up on Seattle left back Leo Gonzalez, but we see worse fouls every week in MLS that are not a caution, much less a red card.
- A 2-0 lead for Seattle that evaporated as the visitors rallied for the draw, followed quickly by Johnson’s game-winner during a particularly helter-skelter stretch of the match. Johnson was bright and alert all night, doing almost everything he wanted against London Woodberry, the rookie center back filling in for George John.
- Dallas playing a high defensive line – and never quite figuring out that they shouldn’t be. Seattle got behind it time and again.
- The Sounders scoring their 8th goal in two matches.
- The Sounders winning their third consecutive match; that’s the first time it has happened in two years.
Full highlights from a high-scoring Saturday night at CenturyLink Field:
Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
So to the MLS players, coaches and “media members who regularly covered the league”, sit back and enjoy your biggest screw-ups.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
Welbeck is used to being on the side of the favorites in this matchup, as Manchester United has dominated the series in recent years.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EST
Danny Welbeck’s first Premier League game against his former team is just one subplot as the Gunners host the Red Devils.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
All Americans plying their trade in the Premier League have a decent look at points, while two in the Championship will opening things up with Friday matches.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EST
Paris Saint-Germain has claimed the last two Trophées with wins over Bordeaux and Guingamp, but this year’s table is clustered.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:17 AM EST
Swansea manager Garry Monk is hoping for the best as the Swans journey to play Manchester City at the Etihad this weekend.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:42 PM EST
Coupled with a breakout year from Lee Nguyen, Jermaine Jones’ skill and leadership have guided the New England Revolution to one of Major League Soccer’s most cohesive units.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Mascherano: “Messi didn’t say anything weird, he said what all football players are thinking.”
Nov 20, 2014, 9:24 PM EST
Alan Pardew has enjoyed newcomer Ayoze Perez’s huge impact, as the young Spain international has netted three goals in three consecutive matches.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:19 PM EST
Following widespread discontent, convicted rapist Ched Evans won’t be back on the field for Sheffield United as expected.
Nov 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EST
Meet the supporters of D.C. United, an MLS club steeped in tradition since the league’s inception.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Tim Howard unsurprisingly takes U.S. Soccer’s Male Athlete of the Year award.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
Wigan Athletic shirt sponsors have ended their contract with the club due to Malkay Mackay’s illicit text messages.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
“It would be a scandal and a shame if they did not give [Ronaldo] the Ballon d’Or,” says Pepe.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
Gianluigi Buffon and Giorgio Chiellini are set to stay at Juventus with fresh deals.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:39 PM EST
Whelan: “I think Jewish people do chase money more than everybody else. I don’t think that’s offensive at all.”
Nov 20, 2014, 3:02 PM EST
Details on Geoff Cameron’s exciting new role with ProSoccerTalk.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
Review of FIFA’s corruption report ordered, as Qatar, Russia scrutinized once again.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:32 PM EST
You get your say. After MLS held talks with cities in California, Nevada and Minnesota, is this the right move for the league?
Nov 20, 2014, 12:37 PM EST
Van Gaal confirms new issue is bothering Falcao.
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 0
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 0
- FIFA saga takes new twist: World Cup corruption report to be reviewed 0
- VOTE – Best choice for MLS expansion: Las Vegas, Sacramento or Minneapolis? 21
- Manchester United’s Radamel Falcao suffers new injury setback 0