May 19, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
A week ago, league-leading FC Dallas was able to sneak away with a win over D.C. United despite missing some important starters.
Suffice to say, a home match against down-and-out D.C. United is hardly comparable to a road match in Seattle, where Sigi Schmid has his men are playing so well lately. So perhaps Saturday’s result from downtown Seattle shouldn’t be so surprising.
In a contest that was wildly wide open, the Sounders exploited an FCD back line that looked painfully naïve at times, executing good runs to get behind the Western Conference leaders and generally carve up Dallas in a 4-2 win CenturyLink Field.
A match that flew up and down the field included:
- Two goals from U.S. international Eddie Johnson. That doubles his total for 2012.
- A second goal in two matches from new Sounders DP striker Obafemi Martins.
- Important Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso leaving the field before intermission with an undetermined injury. That’s hardly good news as Seattle merges into its busy summer schedule.
- A rare goal scored directly off a corner kick, this one by Dallas’ Brazilian midfielder Michel. It happened a couple of times last year, once against Seattle and once by New York’s Thierry Henry.
- Two teams that combined for 17 shots on goal, above average in the league.
- An ejection that seemed on the harsh side; Dallas’ Blas Perez got his elbow up on Seattle left back Leo Gonzalez, but we see worse fouls every week in MLS that are not a caution, much less a red card.
- A 2-0 lead for Seattle that evaporated as the visitors rallied for the draw, followed quickly by Johnson’s game-winner during a particularly helter-skelter stretch of the match. Johnson was bright and alert all night, doing almost everything he wanted against London Woodberry, the rookie center back filling in for George John.
- Dallas playing a high defensive line – and never quite figuring out that they shouldn’t be. Seattle got behind it time and again.
- The Sounders scoring their 8th goal in two matches.
- The Sounders winning their third consecutive match; that’s the first time it has happened in two years.
Full highlights from a high-scoring Saturday night at CenturyLink Field:
May 22, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
The Red Devils boss is confident DDG will be around next season.
May 22, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Here’s how and where to watch every PL game on the final day of the season.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
In his latest blog, our man in the PL gives us a glimpse of what life is like at Stoke’s training ground.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s that time of year again ladies and gents. Get ready for the rumors regarding European veterans heading to MLS.
May 22, 2015, 9:56 AM EDT
The Brazilian defender wants to put the record straight. David, over to you…
May 22, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
After already winning two trophies this season, Chelsea cleaned up once again.
May 22, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
After Sterling’s agent says his client will not sign a new deal at Liverpool, Reds boss is adamant he will remain at Anfield.
May 22, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
The MLS weekend is upon, and that means just one thing, Americans: It’s time to support your domestic league.
May 22, 2015, 12:02 AM EDT
Firing one of the world’s elite managers, so you can hire a good-but-not-great replacement? Not smart, Real Madrid, not smart at all.
May 21, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
According to Scholes, the solution to Man United’s goalkeeping problem is a no-brainer.
May 21, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Well done to Tottenham Hotspur for showing the necessary compassion and taking care of one of their own.
May 21, 2015, 8:24 PM EDT
The draw for the 4th round of the 2015 US Open Cup tossed up a couple of absolute doozies on Thursday night.
May 21, 2015, 7:23 PM EDT
Jack Grealish has a big decision to make in the not-so-distant future, and it’s going to affect the course of the rest of his career.
May 21, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT
Thierry Henry is riding Olivier Giroud very hard these days, claiming Arsenal will never win a PL title with him leading the line.
May 21, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Qatar isn’t the only World Cup host to make others upset.
May 21, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Sponsors hold the one true key to change in Qatar, and strong words are a start.
May 21, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Many European leagues have spots in the big dance still up for grabs.
May 21, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Jordon Ibe and Jon Flanagan both will stick around Anfield for a while longer.
May 21, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Only one candidate remains to battle Sepp Blatter, and it doesn’t look good.
May 21, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The man who’s been investigated by the FBI and green lit loads of allegedly corrupt ideas will continue to rule your favorite sport.
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 0
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6
- Leicester, QPR, Burnley players earn England call-ups for June matches 2