May 19, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
A week ago, league-leading FC Dallas was able to sneak away with a win over D.C. United despite missing some important starters.
Suffice to say, a home match against down-and-out D.C. United is hardly comparable to a road match in Seattle, where Sigi Schmid has his men are playing so well lately. So perhaps Saturday’s result from downtown Seattle shouldn’t be so surprising.
In a contest that was wildly wide open, the Sounders exploited an FCD back line that looked painfully naïve at times, executing good runs to get behind the Western Conference leaders and generally carve up Dallas in a 4-2 win CenturyLink Field.
A match that flew up and down the field included:
- Two goals from U.S. international Eddie Johnson. That doubles his total for 2012.
- A second goal in two matches from new Sounders DP striker Obafemi Martins.
- Important Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso leaving the field before intermission with an undetermined injury. That’s hardly good news as Seattle merges into its busy summer schedule.
- A rare goal scored directly off a corner kick, this one by Dallas’ Brazilian midfielder Michel. It happened a couple of times last year, once against Seattle and once by New York’s Thierry Henry.
- Two teams that combined for 17 shots on goal, above average in the league.
- An ejection that seemed on the harsh side; Dallas’ Blas Perez got his elbow up on Seattle left back Leo Gonzalez, but we see worse fouls every week in MLS that are not a caution, much less a red card.
- A 2-0 lead for Seattle that evaporated as the visitors rallied for the draw, followed quickly by Johnson’s game-winner during a particularly helter-skelter stretch of the match. Johnson was bright and alert all night, doing almost everything he wanted against London Woodberry, the rookie center back filling in for George John.
- Dallas playing a high defensive line – and never quite figuring out that they shouldn’t be. Seattle got behind it time and again.
- The Sounders scoring their 8th goal in two matches.
- The Sounders winning their third consecutive match; that’s the first time it has happened in two years.
Full highlights from a high-scoring Saturday night at CenturyLink Field:
Aug 1, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Goalkeeping starred in the first half before one a-piece settled the score.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Geoff Cameron may no longer fit at Stoke City, and could get a CB role elsewhere.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Another Sounders keeper went up in the air, although he couldn’t remain awake for the whole flight.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:56 PM EDT
Two Eastern Conference teams on unbeaten streaks meet at Sporting Park in Kansas City.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The Arsenal captain saw his games drop significantly last season, and would be a fantastic grab for Manchester United.
Aug 1, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
After a very disappointing debut season with Norwich City, the Dutch striker is off to France.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
A head-scratching moment by the New York defender cost him two games, while the ensuing melee dug into the wallets of others.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
With helpful videos, NBC is getting you ready for the upcoming Premier League season just days away!
Aug 1, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Despite reports to the contrary a month ago, it appears the newly-added Crimean clubs will indeed play in the Russian leagues next season.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
After 13 years at Chelsea, there’s a good chance Frank Lampard could play at Stamford Bridge again…in a lighter shade of blue.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
Arsenal, Newcastle and West Ham are among the teams who’ve loaded up on talent.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Myers and actor Daniel Craig were among the luminaries on hand to watch Liverpool take on Manchester City at Yankee Stadium.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Silly season has reached an absurd level, with even sports books creating rumors out of club links.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Birmigham City defender Will Packwood and Southampton goalkeeper Cody Cropper are on the list of U-23 stars preparing for the Bahamas.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Serbia and the Ivory Coast also tab new bosses as the race for continental and world glory continues.
Aug 1, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Fans of Detroit City FC helped raise money for slain Michigan referee John Bieniewicz via a “swear jar”, then saluting him with silent red card salute.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
A great save followed up by an awful rebound, as Hull draws Trencin 0-0 in its Europa League debut.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
West Ham, Crystal Palace and Newcastle have all added players for 2014/15, according to reports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Would City’s best prospects playing in MLS be a boon for the league, or lend the league a minor league image it’s trying to escape?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Alberto Moreno of Sevilla is the key cog of the pair, appearing 40-plus times for Sevilla in its run across La Liga and the Europa League.
- MLS Snapshot: Sporting KC 1-1 Philadelphia Union 0
- Reports: Geoff Cameron, seeking CB time, draws heavy Premier League interest 0
- Learn the chants for every Premier League team! 4
- Updated team-by-team list of Premier League transfers this summer 3
- US U23 list for Bahamas camp unveiled as Olympic prep continues 0
- New York City FC could be a proving ground for Man City youth 6