Sporting K.C. makes it clear after blown call – “I scored the goal”

May 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT

Sporting Kansas City v Montreal Impact Getty Images

Sporting K.C. manager Peter Vermes and defender Ike Opara didn’t appreciate the pivotal offsides call that disallowed a possible winning goal against D.C. United, and they made that very obvious.

“Whether he lost concentration, whether he just doesn’t know the rules, there were just a lot of different things where the guy made a big mistake,” Vermes told MLSsoccer.com. “It’s unfortunate, because it’s two points over the course of the season.”

“It was clearly a wrong call and one that cannot be justified,” said Peter Walton, Executive Director of the Professional Referees Organization. “At this early stage, it appears that the assistant loses focus and concentration on a crucial play.”

The referee who made the call didn’t disagree. “I misjudged the play” said assistant referee Matthew Nelson.

That will be no consolation to Opara, who was clearly onsides before blasting home the one-timer.  “I scored the goal,” he said. “The whole team is always going to yell for offsides in that instance. But when I looked up, there were maybe two guys who were yelling who were ahead of me, so I thought, ‘There’s no way I am offsides.’ And I look over and he’s holding his flag up.”

He later said he confronted Nelson about it, but it was before either one had seen the replay.  After watching it again, he said, “I mean, it’s a mistake. They happen in the game, so we’ll move forward.”

Had the goal counted and Sporting gone on to win, it would have put them just one point behind league leaders New York.  As it stands, K.C. sit in second, a point ahead of Houston and Montreal, and are three back of the Red Bulls.

1. dhagentj - May 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM

There was another KC player that was offside on the play. I can imagine that the referee believed him to be close enough to the play to have an effect, thus ruling the whole play offside. It’s a call that should probably be called more often, but should not have been in this case.

• dreadpirate82 - May 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I thought so too, at first, dhagentj. Upon watching the replay, it’s clear that Porter is on the ground less than a yard from the end line, leaving everyone onside. At least the official admitted he was wrong. There’s little solace in that for SKC, but it drives me nuts when officials stick to their guns even when they know they made a mistake.

2. danielofthedale - May 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Regardless of this call, I am very happy for Ike! When he was drafted I was think he would be where Omar and Besler would be right now a starting CB contender for the US National team. He should keep seeing playing time with SKC with Besler away with the national team and hopefully he can find a team next season (like Vancouver) and get starter minutes and work his back into the national team fold.

• bobinkc - May 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Ike should see a lot of playing time this year. Besler will be gone on a regular basis for the men’s national team and our loveable Frenchman, Collin, is already sitting out games with his 15 yellow cards already accumulated for this season. Ike very plainly got screwed by a very inattentive linesman: the far player was offside but Ike was not and Ike was the one to whom the pass was directed. Yes, we’ll all move on from this, but chalk another one up for MLS officiating. (At least it wasn’t Toledo this time. Sooner or later that man will be mugged in a dark alley.)

3. geojock - May 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

At least CryingKC has something legit to pout about this time.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea