May 20, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
LA Galaxy center back is good at two things. Well, probably more … but these two we know about:
Dominating games as one of Major League Soccer’s elite center backs, and; not tipping his hand to what’s going on with his career direction.
He has always been politely demur about what might happen once his current deal with the Galaxy expires, which happens at the end of this season.
While the rest of us wondered aloud about the U.S. international and the next step in his rising career – Stay here on a DP deal? Something just short of that? Take a deal abroad that would almost surely be more lucrative? – the Texas native quietly went about his business and declined to comment on what’s ahead.
Sunday, following the Galaxy loss, he did let slip to LA Galaxy blogger Adam Serrano that he has begun the talks that might, at least, keep Gonzalez in Major League Soccer:
There has been some talks [with LA]. I went to lunch one day and started that process, but that’s about as far as it’s gone. Right now, I’m just worried about playing and I’ll let my agent take care of that. Hopefully, we can figure something out.”
Gonzalez is a bit of a homebody. He never struck me as someone who needs the glitz and glamour of European soccer to be happy.
But that doesn’t mean that he should take 50-60 cents on the dollar for proper contract value.
He would be Major League Soccer’s first DP center back if the money gets to the that level, which it probably should. Conventional wisdom around MLS is that center backs can be found for less money. Then again, Gonzalez is hardly a conventional center back.
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 6
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders (video) 0
- Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Arsenal: Red-hot Giroud helps Gunners to win (video) 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return (video) 4