May 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Before anyone asks, yes, we thought about Eddie Johnson’s two goals over the weekend.
Of course, Johnson is a striker, so two-goal games are not exactly rare. Especially not for a U.S. international.
Ned Grabavoy scoring twice out of Real Salt Lake’s midfield? Now that’s a bit of a rarer beast.
Heck, you could even make a case for Federico Higuain, whose performance as playmaker for Columbus on Saturday was a midfield tour du force. Two balls off the post or crossbar in the first half, and the skilled assist on Dominic Oduro’s game-winner.
But did you see Jamison Olave’s master class along the Red Bulls’ back line Sunday?
We covered things pretty good here. So did Mike Petke, New York’s appreciative manager, who also spelled out exactly what the big Colombian was all about in the home team’s 1-0 win at Red Bull Arena.
And in case it isn’t quite spelled out well enough, here’s a little more from the club.
All of this is quite necessary, by the way. We live in a country where value in sports has always been measured in numbers, which is why attackers will always have a big edge over defenders and holding midfielders in awards, acclaim, etc. Singling out a defender for honors requires added justification, it seems.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss