May 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Before anyone asks, yes, we thought about Eddie Johnson’s two goals over the weekend.
Of course, Johnson is a striker, so two-goal games are not exactly rare. Especially not for a U.S. international.
Ned Grabavoy scoring twice out of Real Salt Lake’s midfield? Now that’s a bit of a rarer beast.
Heck, you could even make a case for Federico Higuain, whose performance as playmaker for Columbus on Saturday was a midfield tour du force. Two balls off the post or crossbar in the first half, and the skilled assist on Dominic Oduro’s game-winner.
But did you see Jamison Olave’s master class along the Red Bulls’ back line Sunday?
We covered things pretty good here. So did Mike Petke, New York’s appreciative manager, who also spelled out exactly what the big Colombian was all about in the home team’s 1-0 win at Red Bull Arena.
And in case it isn’t quite spelled out well enough, here’s a little more from the club.
All of this is quite necessary, by the way. We live in a country where value in sports has always been measured in numbers, which is why attackers will always have a big edge over defenders and holding midfielders in awards, acclaim, etc. Singling out a defender for honors requires added justification, it seems.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"