May 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
In the interest of journalistic “telling it like it is,” let us state right away that this piece came out of nowhere and that its source, The Mirror, frequently falls on the dubious side where hard-sourced information goes.
Disclaimers out of the way, no one who follows U.S. Soccer can like to see this: The Mirror reports that Tottenham would not turn down a reasonable offer for U.S. international Clint Dempsey.
The story is not about Dempsey alone. It’s about Tottenham engaging in something of a house cleaning as they strive to improve their EPL finish by one spot – albeit one massive and quite lucrative spot. Andre Villas-Boas and his Spurs just finished fifth, one place out of Champions League, which was the most reasonable, high-value target being chased in north London this year.
Thus, the club may be willing to entertain offers for Dempsey, Emmanuel Adebayor and Scott Parker, perhaps gathering up a little bank account to help pursue a Christian Benteke or a David Villa or a Lisandro Lopez.
Dempsey did not have a bad season, exactly, around White Hart Lane. In fact, U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann was recently effusive with praise for his top attacker of the moment and the U.S. forward’s just-completed campaign.
But it was a little shrunken when held up against that previous breakout campaign at Fulham. Remember that? Just a year back? When my kind could not find enough superlatives to help describe his golden season at Craven Cottage?
So, heads-up on this one. Maybe it’s The Mirror being the The Mirror. But you’ve been warned, at least.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14