Officials from MLS, Yankees, Manchester City and NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to speak tomorrow on expansion news
May 21, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
How very convenient that Manchester City just happens to be in the States for a brief two-game tour.
That means that some prominent members of the English Premier League’s runner-up club can be on hand Wednesday morning in New York as the power ties from MLS, spanking new expansion club NYCFC, baseball’s legendary Yankees and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg gather Wednesday to answer questions and review plans for the league’s just-announced 20th franchise.
An MLS news release says the new club will also reveal its very first staff member during the event, scheduled to be held on the rooftop soccer field at P.S. 72 Lexington Academy in East Harlem.
Manchester City players schedule to appear are do-all midfielder Yaya Touré, striker Carlos Tevez and defender Pablo Zabaleta.
City (if you’re cool, you just refer to the club from Manchester as “City”) has landed in the United States to stage two friendlies against fellow EPL club Chelsea, in St. Louis on Thursday and then Saturday in New York at … wait for it … Yankee Stadium. Is that some kind of coincidence, or what?
Members of the Yankees scheduled to appear include Hal Steinbrenner, managing general partner of baseball’s longtime power club, and Randy Levine, the club president.
By the way, if you think the Yankees interest in soccer and in their new business interest will be peripheral or passing, consider this statement today from Levine and how the club will approach its role in MLS:
They’re the soccer experts, but we can add a lot through our brand and knowing how to do business here in New York City and making this successful. Everything we do has to be world-championship caliber, and this will be as well.”
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad