Officials from MLS, Yankees, Manchester City and NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to speak tomorrow on expansion news
May 21, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
How very convenient that Manchester City just happens to be in the States for a brief two-game tour.
That means that some prominent members of the English Premier League’s runner-up club can be on hand Wednesday morning in New York as the power ties from MLS, spanking new expansion club NYCFC, baseball’s legendary Yankees and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg gather Wednesday to answer questions and review plans for the league’s just-announced 20th franchise.
An MLS news release says the new club will also reveal its very first staff member during the event, scheduled to be held on the rooftop soccer field at P.S. 72 Lexington Academy in East Harlem.
Manchester City players schedule to appear are do-all midfielder Yaya Touré, striker Carlos Tevez and defender Pablo Zabaleta.
City (if you’re cool, you just refer to the club from Manchester as “City”) has landed in the United States to stage two friendlies against fellow EPL club Chelsea, in St. Louis on Thursday and then Saturday in New York at … wait for it … Yankee Stadium. Is that some kind of coincidence, or what?
Members of the Yankees scheduled to appear include Hal Steinbrenner, managing general partner of baseball’s longtime power club, and Randy Levine, the club president.
By the way, if you think the Yankees interest in soccer and in their new business interest will be peripheral or passing, consider this statement today from Levine and how the club will approach its role in MLS:
They’re the soccer experts, but we can add a lot through our brand and knowing how to do business here in New York City and making this successful. Everything we do has to be world-championship caliber, and this will be as well.”
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0