May 22, 2013, 5:26 PM EST
Sometimes we’re so busy starting at trees in this soccer forest, we miss the broader, more general impact of news – impacts that likely mean more for the growth of Major League Soccer than minutiae like whether Manchester City will be able to loan players to New York City FC.
Thankfully, Michele Beadle and friends have us covered, using The Crossover segment on The Hype to talk about the bigger picture. For example, will that huge pinstriped monolith in the Bronx be able to move new butts into seats? Take some of the millions they draw to Yankee Stadium each year and get them to see an MLS game?
As the panel discusses, Major League Soccer is a much more affordable ticket than most sports entertainment. Take your family to see the Giants, Jets, or even the Knicks or Nets? Casseroles for weeks. At a Major League Soccer game, however, you get professional sports atmosphere at reasonable rates. While some might not consider MLS a big four sport yet, at least you can afford to buy your kids a hot dog before kickoff.
It’s something MLS prides itself on: the game day experience. Television ratings are struggling, and the big money from broadcasters has yet to roll in. But one thing the league can do (or, at least strongly encourages its franchises to do) is to make good on match day.
The big question is whether the Yankees will get more people to the park … and whether those people are new fans, or ones being drawn from New Jersey?
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park