May 23, 2013, 11:24 PM EDT
Manchester City overcame a 3-goal deficit at Busch Stadium in St. Louis as Edin Dzeko bagged a brace to beat Chelsea 4-3.
Chelsea went up 3-0 just after halftime with goals from Demba Ba, Oscar, and Cesar Azpilicueta from the penalty spot (what?). But Dzeko and Javier Garcia fired from both barrels right back and Dzeko’s second hit the back of the net just before the end of 90 to level at 3.
Micah Richards played hero as City completed the story with his header two minutes into extra time to give them the 4-3 win.
Busch Stadium sold out at 46,000 people with all tickets selling out 27 minutes after going on sale. Proceeds from the match are being donated to the relief fund for the victims of the recent Oklahoma City tornado that killed 24 people and destroyed homes and schools alike.
Rafa Benitez gave debuts to two Chelsea youngsters. Andreas Christensen was given a start in central defense and Reuben Loftus-Cheek saw his first Chelsea minutes in the midfield. Jamal Blackman also made his debut in goal for the Blues, coming on as a second half substitute.
These two teams will meet again at Yankee Stadium in New York City on Saturday. Manchester City and the New York Yankees have recently developed a relationship as the two are co-owners of the new MLS club recently announced, New York City FC.
Following the match, Sergio Aguero tweeted his appreciation for the support of the fans at the match:
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 10 0
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0