May 23, 2013, 9:54 PM EST
Current Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, in the mix for multiple Premier League managerial openings, has given Wigan chairman Dave Whelan a list of demands that must be met if he is going to stay with the club.
Wigan, recently relegated to the Championship, is trying desperately to keep Martinez, who’s been linked with openings at Everton, Stoke City, and even abroad at Malaga.
Martinez had originally said he would decide his future by today, but instead said, “We have had a good, constructive talk – nothing about wages – it is all about the club and whether we can move it forward in terms of the training facilities and youth development. He wants to do certain things and I’m hoping I can assist. I don’t want to say yes until I’ve had time to think. It will be Monday before I can promise anything.”
Whelan reiterated the constructive talks about the facilities and youth, also adding, “If he wanted to move he would have said, ‘I’m going’.”
According to the Daily Star, the Martinez wish list includes not just transfers to bring in but also retaining James McCarthy and Callum McManaman.
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 0
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 3
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Here’s how it’s going to work 1
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States 13
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three 11
- Meet the Premier League’s other U.S. international goalkeeper: Cody Cropper 5
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United v. Everton 1
- Debunking the myth of Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City as bitter rivals 2
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (18)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (16)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (13)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)