May 23, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
Current Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, in the mix for multiple Premier League managerial openings, has given Wigan chairman Dave Whelan a list of demands that must be met if he is going to stay with the club.
Wigan, recently relegated to the Championship, is trying desperately to keep Martinez, who’s been linked with openings at Everton, Stoke City, and even abroad at Malaga.
Martinez had originally said he would decide his future by today, but instead said, “We have had a good, constructive talk – nothing about wages – it is all about the club and whether we can move it forward in terms of the training facilities and youth development. He wants to do certain things and I’m hoping I can assist. I don’t want to say yes until I’ve had time to think. It will be Monday before I can promise anything.”
Whelan reiterated the constructive talks about the facilities and youth, also adding, “If he wanted to move he would have said, ‘I’m going’.”
According to the Daily Star, the Martinez wish list includes not just transfers to bring in but also retaining James McCarthy and Callum McManaman.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3