May 23, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
With Paolo Di Canio admitting to his defender there’s no room for him at the Stadium of Light, talkSPORT is reporting Titus Bramble will say goodbye to the English Premier League in exchange for a switch stateside.
The 31-year-old center back has played 13 seasons in the Premier League with Ipswich, Newcastle, Wigan, and Sunderland. However, his switch to the Black Cats from Wigan in 2010 has seen Bramble record the two lowest appearances in a season in his career the last two seasons.
The England international confirmed on Twitter he’d be leaving, thanking the fans in the northeast corner of the country:
The NE is a special place to play and will always be close to my heart. I wish the club and my teammates all the best for the future.—
titus bramble (@19tmb) May 23, 2013
Bramble fell out of favor with the fiery Di Canio after the two butted heads on a number of occasions, and it was only released today that the defender will avoid a hefty fine for a number of spats with his boss.
He’s had his share of off-the-field incidents as well, being questioned by police in connection with rape, drugs, and sexual assault issues. He’s never been actually charged with anything, so it shouldn’t present any work permit issue.
Who would Bramble sign with if he indeed heads to the United States?
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 6