May 23, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
20-year-old Jonathan Osorio picked up his debut call-up to the Canadian national team along with three other Toronto FC teammates ahead of their friendly against Costa Rica on Tuesday.
Toronto head coach Ryan Nelson was surprised that call didn’t come sooner. “I was very surprised when he didn’t get a call-up to the last camp. I would have thought that Earl Cochrane, our director of team and player operations, who also sits on the board of directors for the Canadian Soccer Association, would have been shouting out his name, because he has been really impressive.”
It seems any kicking and screaming Cochrane might have done worked, because now Osorio can add a national team call-up to a season that already includes his first two MLS goals and a Goal of the Week award.
Fellow midfielder Kyle Bekker and defenders Doneil Henry and Ashtone Morgan also got the call. The roster was a bit shuffled up thanks to the Amway Canadian Championship second leg, which plays the day before the friendly. Vancouver and Montreal first-teamers therefore were most likely overlooked.
In addition, clubs weren’t obligated to release their players for the friendly because it doesn’t fall on a FIFA sanctioned international date, so many usual players such as Simeon Jackson of Norwich City or Atiba Hutchinson of PSV Eindhoven are not on the roster due to their recently completed domestic campaigns.
Canada’s lost 4 of its last 5 matches, with its one draw coming in a scoreless tie against the United States in Houston back in January. They’ve scored just two goals in that 5-match span. The match with Costa Rica will take place at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.
Also getting the call-up are goalkeeper Simon Thomas of the Vancouver Whitecaps and defender Nathan Attakora of San Jose.
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0