May 23, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
20-year-old Jonathan Osorio picked up his debut call-up to the Canadian national team along with three other Toronto FC teammates ahead of their friendly against Costa Rica on Tuesday.
Toronto head coach Ryan Nelson was surprised that call didn’t come sooner. “I was very surprised when he didn’t get a call-up to the last camp. I would have thought that Earl Cochrane, our director of team and player operations, who also sits on the board of directors for the Canadian Soccer Association, would have been shouting out his name, because he has been really impressive.”
It seems any kicking and screaming Cochrane might have done worked, because now Osorio can add a national team call-up to a season that already includes his first two MLS goals and a Goal of the Week award.
Fellow midfielder Kyle Bekker and defenders Doneil Henry and Ashtone Morgan also got the call. The roster was a bit shuffled up thanks to the Amway Canadian Championship second leg, which plays the day before the friendly. Vancouver and Montreal first-teamers therefore were most likely overlooked.
In addition, clubs weren’t obligated to release their players for the friendly because it doesn’t fall on a FIFA sanctioned international date, so many usual players such as Simeon Jackson of Norwich City or Atiba Hutchinson of PSV Eindhoven are not on the roster due to their recently completed domestic campaigns.
Canada’s lost 4 of its last 5 matches, with its one draw coming in a scoreless tie against the United States in Houston back in January. They’ve scored just two goals in that 5-match span. The match with Costa Rica will take place at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.
Also getting the call-up are goalkeeper Simon Thomas of the Vancouver Whitecaps and defender Nathan Attakora of San Jose.
- FOLLOW LIVE — Copa America final: Messi, Argentina face hosts Chile 0
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 3
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1