May 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The United States U-18 squad drew with hosts Portugal in the middle of three group-stage matches during the 19th Annual Lisbon International Juniors Tournament.
The 1-1 draw kept the US on top of their group, two days after defeating the Czech Republic 3-0 (they played Czechoslovakia according to the official US Soccer match report; assuming that means the Czech Republic since that’s what it says in their tournament preview) thanks to a brace from D.C. United youth product Romain Gall. He also picked up an assist on the third goal. The 18-year-old is ranked #5 in IMG Academy‘s rankings for his age group.
Gall also scored the US’s only goal on a free kick in their 1-1 draw with Portugal, which kept them atop the group. They still have yet to play Hungary in the final group match.
Coach Javier Perez (pictured) picked a roster that included 3 players from the U-17 CONCACAF Championships in April as well as 10 players who represented the U-18’s at a tournament in France and Romania back in March.
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 33 0
- Brek Shea’s USMNT return includes a personal, artistic touch 3
- Wayne Rooney may play in midfield: How will Chelsea, Manchester United line up? 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 33 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Red-hot teams will keep rolling 3
- MLS Week 7 preview: RSL vs. Whitecaps, Galaxy vs. Sporting KC in the wild West 0