USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers

May 24, 2013, 9:29 PM EDT

021513-USA-Robbie-Rogers-PI_20130215160452343_660_320

In a mind-blowing move, USA Today have reported the LA Galaxy have sent a player to the Chicago Fire in exchange for the rights to Robbie Rogers. Steven Goff of the Washington Post is reporting that the player traded for Rogers is LA’s red-hot midfield cornerstone Mike Magee.

Rogers splashed headlines in February when he announced his retirement and came out as the first openly gay player in US professional sports, and would be the first openly gay active MLS player.

It isn’t surprising that Rogers will be headed to the Galaxy – it was rumored before he was speaking with their representatives. It’s a bit surprising, however, that the Galaxy would be so willing to part with their “Mr. November,” a guy who has 6 goals in 10 appearances this season, for someone who hasn’t played a professional match since December, even if it is Rogers.

(MORE: Looking at the trade from Chicago’s side)

(MORE: Looking at the trade from the LA Galaxy’s side)

Nevertheless, he’ll be a draw at the stadium and it’s fantastic to see him make such a major step forward in his comeback.

Rogers definitely wasn’t going to be coming back with Chicago, that much has been known for a while. He told our very own Steve Davis, “I don’t want to go to Chicago. I think if it comes down to, ‘You can only play in Chicago,’ then I probably won’t go back. I need to do it somewhere where I’m totally 100 percent comfortable so … I would most likely do it closest to my family.”

Rogers is from Rancho Palos Verdes, just outside Los Angeles.

It should also be noted, Magee is originally from Chicago. Everyone’s going home!

1. mdac1012 - May 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Wow, bold move by L.A.! Magee has played like a DP this season, it’s a great get by Chicago, Magee has scored as many goals this season as the entire Fire team.

This could be a great opportunity for Mike Magee also, he will finally get the chance to be a featured player and maybe this will be an opportunity to get a call up to the USMNT.

• mikeevergreen - May 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Better yet, both players get to play where they grew up. The Fire finally gets a marquee player who grew up here.

2. jpan007 - May 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

lol all for the publicity

3. mvktr2 - May 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

No – NO NO!!!!! I follow Chicago, I follow LA, one would think it wouldn’t matter much to me. I just like Mike, one of my 2 fav. MLS players (McInerney), in LA!

Darn you Robbie Rodgers!

Oh well, it’s just a game.

4. drewvt6 - May 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Stupid dumb stupid

5. steakknives - May 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM

isn’t Chivas USA also close to Rob’s family? If he is going to be such a draw, couldn’t the goats use a little help??

6. seanb20124 - May 25, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Makes no sense, Magee seems like he is in form each week. Now you have galaxy having to deal with the RR circus

7. pinion8ted - May 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I pretty much assumed EVERY MLS soccer player was gay.

• mikeevergreen - May 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Assumed, or wished?

• valiantdraws - May 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Haha…Zing!

8. midtec2005 - May 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Well Chicago just made out like bandits…

The only positive I can see for LA is that Rogers is younger.

• mvktr2 - May 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Turning Oduro into Duka/Magee is a get. Sadly things are so upside down in Chicago there’s little hope of this making any meaningful impact. :(

9. valiantdraws - May 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I think it might come down to one things: attendance. The gay community likes to support its own, and this could be a way to break into another market for Galaxy.

10. mvktr2 - May 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I follow multiple MLS teams including LA & Chicago, along with that Magee along with McInerney are my fav. MLS players (bully year for me thus far in that regard) thus I feel fairly neutral here. Many have said they don’t see the value of Rogers. If Rogers returns to form it provides tremendous value in that depth and width can come on the left side of the pitch consistently without having to play Donovan out there. Additionally and equally important you get to move Sean Franklin back to RB rather than playing him out of position at RM to get width. The next time I see Franklin at RM it will be too soon. Add in a big summer signing of another top flight midfielder, especially on the right side, and LA has tactically improved.

That said I still prefer Magee’s game, his finishing-touch-vision. However if things fall into place LA has improved their tactical lot with this move. As with most things time will tell and best of luck to Magee!

Week 6: Premier League recap