May 25, 2013, 12:20 PM EST
First chances to see Mike Magee, Robbie Rogers with their new clubs
The Galaxy have called a press conference for later today to talk about their newest man, who isn’t exactly new to the club, but is officially speaking.
When LA Galaxy president Chris Klein and coach Bruce Arena officially introduce Robbie Rogers during a Saturday media get-together at the Home Depot Center, they’ll be talking about a well-talked about figure who has trained with the club for two weeks.
Before the trade late Friday, rights to the first openly gay male athlete in U.S. professional sports still belonged to Chicago. He was training with the Galaxy with the blessing of the Fire, who were hoping to arrange an equitable swap with the two-time defending MLS champions.
Friday, they did … and the Fire came out looking pretty good on the deal.
So we should know more in a few hours about whether Rogers will be on the bench for Sunday night’s late visit by Seattle. The contest, 11 p.m. ET at the Home Depot Center, will be shown on ESPN2.
Rogers surely cannot be match fit; nothing close to it, in fact.
But it wouldn’t be a shocker to see the winger come in around the 75th minute or so, would it? After all, Arena wasn’t shy about getting Landon Donovan on the field a few weeks ago, even when the team’s all-time leading scorer had been on the practice field for less than a week.
Forcing fitness through matches seems be an accepted method.
Meanwhile, beleaguered Chicago is in Utah for a Saturday match against Real Salt Lake. Presumably (until we hear otherwise, that is) Magee will take the short flight out of Southern California into Salt Lake to meet up with his new team.
It certainly wouldn’t hurt Chicago to start their new man. After all, he does have six more goals this year than the usual Fire starter at striker Sherjill MacDonald, who has appeared in nine matches but has yet to nail the target for the 2-7-1Fire.
- Arsenal could be own worst enemy as title challenge sees tension rise 0
- Arsenal 1-1 Everton: Late breakthroughs cancel as Deulofeu denies Arsenal all 3 points 2
- Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis sounds like a man about to leave 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Arsenal host Everton, Aston Villa travel to Fulham 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (41)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (29)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)