May 25, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The Rafa Benitez era came to a close rather unceremoniously as Chelsea lost to Manchester City 5-3 for the sweep in the pair’s friendly double dip in the United States.
The two matches saw a total of 15 goals fly in between the two sides, giving any new American fans an exciting introduction to the game.
This one came to the United States via Yankee Stadium where Manchester City have developed a new partnership in the acquisition of New York City FC, with fans assuring both games in the series were a sellout.
Samir Nasri had a brace for City, and Ramires equaled that feat for Chelsea as the goals flew in all match. Unlike the first, however, the two teams went punch for punch after City took an early 2-0 lead. Gareth Barry, James Milner, and Edin Dzeko all recorded goals for Manchester City and Juan Mata added Chelsea’s third score.
The match Rafa Benitez’s final game in charge of the Blues, as he will now look for another high-profile job. He’s been heavily linked to the Serie A job opening at Napoli, an attractive position considering Walter Mazzarri led them to Champions League qualification for next year before he left to take charge at Inter.
Jose Mourinho is largely believed to be taking over for Benitez at Chelsea, a move which should be announced in the coming days.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes