May 25, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
The Rafa Benitez era came to a close rather unceremoniously as Chelsea lost to Manchester City 5-3 for the sweep in the pair’s friendly double dip in the United States.
The two matches saw a total of 15 goals fly in between the two sides, giving any new American fans an exciting introduction to the game.
This one came to the United States via Yankee Stadium where Manchester City have developed a new partnership in the acquisition of New York City FC, with fans assuring both games in the series were a sellout.
Samir Nasri had a brace for City, and Ramires equaled that feat for Chelsea as the goals flew in all match. Unlike the first, however, the two teams went punch for punch after City took an early 2-0 lead. Gareth Barry, James Milner, and Edin Dzeko all recorded goals for Manchester City and Juan Mata added Chelsea’s third score.
The match Rafa Benitez’s final game in charge of the Blues, as he will now look for another high-profile job. He’s been heavily linked to the Serie A job opening at Napoli, an attractive position considering Walter Mazzarri led them to Champions League qualification for next year before he left to take charge at Inter.
Jose Mourinho is largely believed to be taking over for Benitez at Chelsea, a move which should be announced in the coming days.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death 0
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0