May 25, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
How ironic that the Neymar saga is reaching its conclusion on Champions League final day!
After all, the two teams reportedly in the “Final” for Neymar want so desperately to be playing at Wembley today.
The most recent reports say it’s Barcelona FC, as the Catalan giants have apparently beaten Spanish rival Real Madrid to the finish line for Brazil’s latest scoring sensation, the 21-year-old Neymar.
Reported price to install the latest attacking weapon into Camp Nou: just over $32 million, plus the promise of a pair of lucrative friendlies between Neymar’s Brazilian club and departure point, Santos, and the current La Liga champs.
The $32 million price tag seems a little low for such a promising figure, someone to station alongside Leo Messi who can run at defenders and help create just a little more balance in Barcelona’s fabulous attack.
But Neymar did have only months left on his current deal with Santos, and the threat of losing their valuable asset on a free transfer surely drove the price down (although a bidding war with Real Madrid surely helped tip the figures back toward a reasonable level, at least).
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: Heavy on Eastern Conference nominees 0
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 1
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3