Robbie Rogers officially unveiled by Galaxy

May 25, 2013, 8:27 PM EST

Los Angeles Galaxy new signing midfielder Robbie Rogers poses for the media in Carson Reuters

It’s official: the Robbie Rogers’s return to soccer is nearly complete, and maybe even to the US National team depending on his performance.  But the first step of finding his way back onto the pitch is complete – he’s found a team.

After snubbing the Chicago Fire, Rogers’ move to the LA Galaxy is a done deal, and today they unveiled Rogers, who admitted he was apprehensive at first.

“I was afraid to be back in an environment that kind of affected me in the past,” Rogers said. “I was coming in here a little bit nervous. I spoke with Landon [Donovan] a little bit before that and I wanted to see what he thought about the whole situation. After I finally got in here, everything was normal, as it should be.”

Rogers, the first openly gay athlete in U.S. professional sports and first active openly gay athlete in Major League Soccer, said he originally retired in February because he thought the sport wasn’t ready for a gay athlete, but he’s completely changed his mind now.

“For 25 years, I was afraid to share a secret with everyone,” Rogers said . “Finally, I did that. Even though soccer was a place where I could be happy and – not necessarily hide that side of me – express myself on the field, I kept my secret because I thought I couldn’t be both a soccer player and a gay athlete. As crazy as it sounds to you, obviously, that’s not true, but I felt that way.”

The LA Galaxy streamed his press conference live on their official website.

Bruce Arena said, pending approval of an international transfer, Rogers will be in the 18-man squad for Sunday’s match with the Seattle Sounders.  However, it’s not a guarantee he will see the pitch. “We will slowly build him into it,” Arena said. “He will need his proper minutes in games before he is a player in a starting position.”

Latest Posts
  1. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

2. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

3. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

4. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

5. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

6. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

7. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

8. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

9. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

10. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

11. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

12. At The Half – Arsenal 1-0 Dortmund: Sanogo’s strike the difference

Nov 26, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League

Good start for the Arsenal, scoring early through Yaya Sanogo.

13. Pochettino wants more rest between European and Premier League matches

Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Tottenham Hotspur FC Training and Press Conference Getty Images

As Tottenham continue to struggle, Mauricio Pochettino believes his team needs more rest between competitions.

14. Zenit St. Petersburg 1-0 Benfica: Danny strike eliminates Portuguese champs

Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ZENIT-BENFICA Getty Images

The Zenit skipper earned three points for the home side as Benfica’s Champions League dreams ended in St. Petersburg.

15. LIVE – Champions League: Arsenal host Dortmund, Liverpool face Ludogorets

Nov 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EST

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Follow all the action from the UCL’s eight games on Wednesday, right here.

16. Liverpool legend says Simon Mignolet is ‘worse than Dracula’

Nov 26, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

Norwich City v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

Former Reds’ goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar had some choice words for the struggling Simon Mignolet as Liverpool’s tumultuous season continues.

17. Arjen Robben: Bayern were ‘brutally punished’ by City

Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Manchester City FC v FC Bayern Muenchen - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

The Bayern star was outshone by Sergio Aguero’s hat trick in Munich’s 3-2 loss to Manchester City.

18. Victor Moses out up to eight weeks with injury

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Stoke City v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Stoke City will be without their on-loan winger as the Nigerian international is sidelined with a thigh injury.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday