May 25, 2013, 7:19 PM EST
Outgoing Bayern Munich manager Jupp Heynckes hinted at Borussia Dortmund sensation Robert Lewandowski’s probable switch to Bayern after the Champions League final.
“We all know that (Mario) Gotze has already been signed and that Lewandowski will not have to wait too much longer. Then one has two more top players.”
If the departure of Gotze and defeat at the death of the Champions League final, both to their hated rivals, wasn’t enough hurt for Borussia Dortmund to take, this second poaching will only add fuel to the fire.
The Polish strike star has long been rumored to be moving to Bavaria, but Dortmund fans would at least be hoping he would stick around long enough for manager Jurgen Klopp to make a convincing pitch to him following the completion of the season. Now, it seems like he may not even get the chance.
Heynckes is still the manager at Bayern, and has one more match to manage in the final of the DFB-Pokal (the German league cup) against VfB Stuttgart next Saturday.
He may be leaving at the end of the season, but on its way in is an all-star cast. Along with the now serious possibility of Lewandowski, it’s already been confirmed that Pep Guardiola will replace Heynckes and Gotze will add to the already ridiculously deep talent pool at Allianz Arena.
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)