May 26, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
Glasgow Celtic secured their 36th Scottish Cup title with a 3-0 victory over Hibernian on Sunday.
A first-half brace by Gary Hooper handed Celtic the Championship and a domestic double to close out their season. Eight minutes into the match Hooper gave Celtic the lead when Anthony Stokes’ cross to the back post found the Englishman between two defenders and he expertly volleyed into the net.
A little over 20 minutes later and Hooper was at it again when Stokes curled in another tasty ball to the back post where Hooper beat Paul Hanlon and Ryan McGivern to bang home his brace.
On a hat-trick, Hooper nearly completed the feat 10 minutes from time when he had an opportunity from close range but mis-hit the effort. Celtic had luck on their side, however, as Joe Ledley was there and made no mistake about it, firing the ball into the top corner.
Despite the blanking Hibs came close to breaking the deadlock on two opportunities as Tom Taiwo unleashed and dipping shot from 25 yards and Eoin Doyle came close on a header that forced Fraser Forster into a sprawling stop.
Leigh Griffiths then almost gave Hibs a lifeline just before half-time when he received a beautiful diagonal ball from Hanlon but Forster was there to cut off the striker’s angle. After the break Hibs continued to battle but the Celtic defense was too strong and Neil Lennon’s men had their record 36th cup victory.
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle Sounders 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City 2
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team