May 26, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Glasgow Celtic secured their 36th Scottish Cup title with a 3-0 victory over Hibernian on Sunday.
A first-half brace by Gary Hooper handed Celtic the Championship and a domestic double to close out their season. Eight minutes into the match Hooper gave Celtic the lead when Anthony Stokes’ cross to the back post found the Englishman between two defenders and he expertly volleyed into the net.
A little over 20 minutes later and Hooper was at it again when Stokes curled in another tasty ball to the back post where Hooper beat Paul Hanlon and Ryan McGivern to bang home his brace.
On a hat-trick, Hooper nearly completed the feat 10 minutes from time when he had an opportunity from close range but mis-hit the effort. Celtic had luck on their side, however, as Joe Ledley was there and made no mistake about it, firing the ball into the top corner.
Despite the blanking Hibs came close to breaking the deadlock on two opportunities as Tom Taiwo unleashed and dipping shot from 25 yards and Eoin Doyle came close on a header that forced Fraser Forster into a sprawling stop.
Leigh Griffiths then almost gave Hibs a lifeline just before half-time when he received a beautiful diagonal ball from Hanlon but Forster was there to cut off the striker’s angle. After the break Hibs continued to battle but the Celtic defense was too strong and Neil Lennon’s men had their record 36th cup victory.
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1