D.C. United’s Ben Olsen sounds off after latest loss

May 26, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT

D.C. United v Seattle Sounders FC Getty Images

Whenever a manager twists off the way D.C. United manager Ben Olsen did following last night’s latest dose of woe around RFK Stadium, this time a 2-0 loss to Portland, I have a couple of questions.

These questions are always the same following one of these expletive-enhanced “goings-off.”  What I want to know from the managers:

First, didn’t they pick these players in the first place? When we get the “fed up” and the “not enough heart” or something along those line, aren’t the manager indicting themselves for putting those guys on the field? Because they’ve been around these guys, sometimes day and night, for months now, at least. They should know them.

And second, what message is a manager sending by putting so much on the players? In this case specifically, some of us have said for years and years that the underlying problem around RFK Stadium is the player selection from the top, from the offices of Kevin Payne (previously, before he went to Toronto) and general manager Dave Kasper.

(MORE: What is D.C. United waiting for?)

But Olsen has something to say about it, too, presumably.

So, here goes with Olsen. What he said … and then the video of him saying it below.

The question was about a missed handball call that would have given United a penalty kick. Olsen said it was a “missed call,” but …

That doesn’t excuse us, for giving up goals the way we do.

“It’s embarrassing how soft we are, everywhere around the field. The lack of anger that our guys plays with. Scratch that. Not ‘our guys,’ [but] a few of our guys. The lack of chip on some of our shoulders. It’s mind boggling. …

“I would say we had just a couple individuals really show up and show that this really [expletive] matters. I’ve had it. I’ve had it with that part.”

And here’s the video of him saying it, courtesy of CSN Washington.com:

1. pensfan603 - May 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

talking about the younger international players mainly i think, peopel like augusto and rafael who show up and dont even try cause they know they are getting paid a good amount, think they dont even have to try, same with laba in Toronto, when you bring in a young player from another country on loan, who doesnt want to play here and then give them big money im sorry but they dont try. Its sad but they dont theyd rather be in the Brazilian league or Argentinian league. I wish they could get young players from this country who care but they cant.

2. mvktr2 - May 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM

So Olsen’s been using too much carrot and not enough stick?

Seriously have players described him as a player’s coach? If so that pretty much spells out the issue and it’s time for him to go. But hey if they head down that direction I hear a real taskmaster is available by the name of Nowak! I don’t follow DC, like some of their talent, and hope they get things straightened out … as well as a new stadium which those fans deserve pronto!

3. tarotsujimoto74 - May 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I liked him in backyard soccer, though he was no pablo.

4. SD1 Timbers Special Forces - May 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Could you have the video and obnoxious ad not play unless it’s clicked? I hate being yelled at when I’m trying to read. That’s why there are words and sentences and paragraphs. To read. If I want to watch the clip, I’ll click and I’ll be prepared for it.

5. talgrath - May 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM

One clarification here, Ben Olsen did not pick these players, General Manager Dave Kasper picks the players; in theory Olsen has some say in the matter, but ultimately the choice is Kasper’s. Olsen’s choice is who he puts on the field given the people at his disposal, but that’s obviously out of a limited pool. Could Olsen be doing a better job? Maybe. But I look at his roster and I don’t think Sir Alex Ferguson himself could do much better.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?