May 26, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
What a duel of league-leading goal scorers the fans at Montreal’s Stade Saputo were treated to last night.
Jack McInerney on one side; the young Philadelphia Union scoring sensation came into last night’s meeting of Eastern Conference opponents as Major League Soccer’s leading scorer, carrying eight goals.
And Italian veteran Marco Di Vaio on the other side; the Montreal Impact striker was tied with two others for second place, with six goals.
Both left with a share of the league lead, each with nine goals.
It was Di Vaio with the big share in Montreal’s 5-3 win, the league’s highest scoring match this year.
Said Di Vaio: “We needed to win to stay near the top of the standings. It’s been a long time that I haven’t scored three goals, so it’s good for my confidence, but even more so, I’m always pleased to help the team win. I’m not looking at winning the scoring title. I look at scoring goals to help my team win and make the playoffs.”
Di Vaio’s three goals all came in the first half, matching a league record. Three goals in a half has happened 32 times previously in MLS … so, not exactly “rare,” but hardly commonplace either.
Mike Magee has Major League Soccer’s only other hat trick this season. He was with the LA Galaxy at the time, but was just traded to Chicago.
The highlights from last night at chilly Stade Saputo:
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3