May 26, 2013, 9:05 AM EST
What a duel of league-leading goal scorers the fans at Montreal’s Stade Saputo were treated to last night.
Jack McInerney on one side; the young Philadelphia Union scoring sensation came into last night’s meeting of Eastern Conference opponents as Major League Soccer’s leading scorer, carrying eight goals.
And Italian veteran Marco Di Vaio on the other side; the Montreal Impact striker was tied with two others for second place, with six goals.
Both left with a share of the league lead, each with nine goals.
It was Di Vaio with the big share in Montreal’s 5-3 win, the league’s highest scoring match this year.
Said Di Vaio: “We needed to win to stay near the top of the standings. It’s been a long time that I haven’t scored three goals, so it’s good for my confidence, but even more so, I’m always pleased to help the team win. I’m not looking at winning the scoring title. I look at scoring goals to help my team win and make the playoffs.”
Di Vaio’s three goals all came in the first half, matching a league record. Three goals in a half has happened 32 times previously in MLS … so, not exactly “rare,” but hardly commonplace either.
Mike Magee has Major League Soccer’s only other hat trick this season. He was with the LA Galaxy at the time, but was just traded to Chicago.
The highlights from last night at chilly Stade Saputo:
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"