May 27, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Selhurst Park, home to the newly promoted Crystal Palace FC, will always be a curiously special place personally.
On annual trips into England to take in matches – typical planning means identifying as many contests around London as possible, just for ease of logistics – gritty little Selhurst Park was once a regular stop. Not for any particular reason; that’s just the way the schedule seemed to break.
But you don’t really care about that, do you? You can’t look like a proper authority on the English game based on that flimsy noodle of info.
Here, then are five things to know about Crystal Palace FC that will make you something of a thinly veiled expert. Feel free to spread these liberally at your next office water cooler gathering, or at happy hour with co-workers between bursts of office gossip about that new looker over in accounting.
- Liam Neeson is a fan! And a major one, apparently. The award winning leading man of Schindler’s List, the Star Wars series and a whole bunch of stuff was once a regular around Selhurst in South London. Former Rolling Stones bass man Bill Wyman is, too.
- Maybe you don’t know much about Kenny Sansom, but don’t you dare say a bad word about the fellow upon disembarking at the Selhurst stop out of Victoria Station. He’s a legend around there, having begun with Crystal Palace en route to 86 full England national team caps. Before overtaken by Ashley Cole, that was the most ever for an England fullback.
- Former English international Andy Johnson was The Man around South London for much of the last decade, a relatively unheralded arrival who went on to score 74 goals for Palace between 2002-2006. He left Everton on a transfer of about $13 million, a club record.
- Fellow South London sides Millwall and Charlton Athletic are two of the club’s chief rivals. Those are easy to figure, geography and all. But how did Brighton & Hove Albion, nowhere near South London in relative terms, emerge as Crystal Palace’s main rival? Here is a pretty good explanation. It’s long, but worth the read. And by the way, if “excrement incident” doesn’t say “fierce rival,” I don’t know what does.
- And finally, this craziness happened at Selhurst Park, one of the truly more bizarre incidents ever of English Soccer – and isn’t that covering lots of ground? In 1995, Eric Cantona attempted to flying Kung Fu kick a Crystal Palace fan. Yes. That happened. The Guardian called it The Kick that Stunned Football, and summed it up like this: “The most enigmatic, charismatic footballer in England aims the most shocking, unforgettable and undeniably glamorous kick of the decade.”
Here it is:
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”
Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”
Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
After losing the PL title late in the season, then England being knocked out of the World Cup, can Gerrard bounce back?
Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The 3,600 meters of elevation will provide a stiff challenge, with many opposing clubs having fallen victim to the altitude.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Manchester United continued their success in the US with a third consecutive victory.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Sturridge and Ibe step to the mic and hold their own.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
In a startling revelation, AS has revealed that Radamel Falcao has begun following three Real Madrid players on Instagram.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
- Everton set to complete $50 million deal for Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku 2
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 1
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11