May 27, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Selhurst Park, home to the newly promoted Crystal Palace FC, will always be a curiously special place personally.
On annual trips into England to take in matches – typical planning means identifying as many contests around London as possible, just for ease of logistics – gritty little Selhurst Park was once a regular stop. Not for any particular reason; that’s just the way the schedule seemed to break.
But you don’t really care about that, do you? You can’t look like a proper authority on the English game based on that flimsy noodle of info.
Here, then are five things to know about Crystal Palace FC that will make you something of a thinly veiled expert. Feel free to spread these liberally at your next office water cooler gathering, or at happy hour with co-workers between bursts of office gossip about that new looker over in accounting.
- Liam Neeson is a fan! And a major one, apparently. The award winning leading man of Schindler’s List, the Star Wars series and a whole bunch of stuff was once a regular around Selhurst in South London. Former Rolling Stones bass man Bill Wyman is, too.
- Maybe you don’t know much about Kenny Sansom, but don’t you dare say a bad word about the fellow upon disembarking at the Selhurst stop out of Victoria Station. He’s a legend around there, having begun with Crystal Palace en route to 86 full England national team caps. Before overtaken by Ashley Cole, that was the most ever for an England fullback.
- Former English international Andy Johnson was The Man around South London for much of the last decade, a relatively unheralded arrival who went on to score 74 goals for Palace between 2002-2006. He left Everton on a transfer of about $13 million, a club record.
- Fellow South London sides Millwall and Charlton Athletic are two of the club’s chief rivals. Those are easy to figure, geography and all. But how did Brighton & Hove Albion, nowhere near South London in relative terms, emerge as Crystal Palace’s main rival? Here is a pretty good explanation. It’s long, but worth the read. And by the way, if “excrement incident” doesn’t say “fierce rival,” I don’t know what does.
- And finally, this craziness happened at Selhurst Park, one of the truly more bizarre incidents ever of English Soccer – and isn’t that covering lots of ground? In 1995, Eric Cantona attempted to flying Kung Fu kick a Crystal Palace fan. Yes. That happened. The Guardian called it The Kick that Stunned Football, and summed it up like this: “The most enigmatic, charismatic footballer in England aims the most shocking, unforgettable and undeniably glamorous kick of the decade.”
Here it is:
Oct 26, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
The Vancouver Whitecaps did themselves well to clinch a late playoff birth, besting the Colorado Rapids, 1-0.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
The Timbers’ postseason aspirations are hanging in the balance, but this 2-0 win over FC Dallas has certainly put them in a nice spot.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Final: New England Revolution 1, Toronto FC 0
Oct 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
AS Roma defender Ashley Cole has drawn the interest of MLS teams once again.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Cristiano Ronaldo praises manager Louis van Gaal and is convinced that the 63-year-old will lead Manchester United to its former glory.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Short recap and highlights of Saturday’s Round 9 Premier League matches.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
With three games on the slate, here’s what you can look forward to on Sunday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Final: Montreal Impact 1, D.C. United 1
Oct 25, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
The Chicago Fire are seeking to bolster the strength of their roster, examining the possible signing of ex-Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jaime O’Hara.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
A sleepy game for over an hour, Seattle and L.A. used the last hour to stage a contest worthy of a trophy-winning event.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Pique speaks of his handball in Barcelona’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid: “It was unintentional.”
Oct 25, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
The L.A. Galaxy and Seattle Sounders are scoreless through 45 minutes at CenturyLink in Washington.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Leeds United have fired manager Darko Milanic after only 32 days leading the squad.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Several fun games whet the appetite for a massive top of table Sunday tilt between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
With six games on Saturday in the PL, here’s what happened.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Wilfried Bony scored both goals for Swans, 2-0, who cruised to the win against the suddenly-struggling Foxes.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Will the Sounders handle the Galaxy and expectations to clinch home-field throughout the playoffs?
Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
“Maybe they [Stoke] created two possibilities, not chances and that’s a great team effort,” Koeman said of his Saints.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Despite going behind earlier, Real came roaring back to win the first El Clasico of 2014-15.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Watch and enjoy, then follow the second half live on NBC and online via Live Extra.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3