May 27, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Selhurst Park, home to the newly promoted Crystal Palace FC, will always be a curiously special place personally.
On annual trips into England to take in matches – typical planning means identifying as many contests around London as possible, just for ease of logistics – gritty little Selhurst Park was once a regular stop. Not for any particular reason; that’s just the way the schedule seemed to break.
But you don’t really care about that, do you? You can’t look like a proper authority on the English game based on that flimsy noodle of info.
Here, then are five things to know about Crystal Palace FC that will make you something of a thinly veiled expert. Feel free to spread these liberally at your next office water cooler gathering, or at happy hour with co-workers between bursts of office gossip about that new looker over in accounting.
- Liam Neeson is a fan! And a major one, apparently. The award winning leading man of Schindler’s List, the Star Wars series and a whole bunch of stuff was once a regular around Selhurst in South London. Former Rolling Stones bass man Bill Wyman is, too.
- Maybe you don’t know much about Kenny Sansom, but don’t you dare say a bad word about the fellow upon disembarking at the Selhurst stop out of Victoria Station. He’s a legend around there, having begun with Crystal Palace en route to 86 full England national team caps. Before overtaken by Ashley Cole, that was the most ever for an England fullback.
- Former English international Andy Johnson was The Man around South London for much of the last decade, a relatively unheralded arrival who went on to score 74 goals for Palace between 2002-2006. He left Everton on a transfer of about $13 million, a club record.
- Fellow South London sides Millwall and Charlton Athletic are two of the club’s chief rivals. Those are easy to figure, geography and all. But how did Brighton & Hove Albion, nowhere near South London in relative terms, emerge as Crystal Palace’s main rival? Here is a pretty good explanation. It’s long, but worth the read. And by the way, if “excrement incident” doesn’t say “fierce rival,” I don’t know what does.
- And finally, this craziness happened at Selhurst Park, one of the truly more bizarre incidents ever of English Soccer – and isn’t that covering lots of ground? In 1995, Eric Cantona attempted to flying Kung Fu kick a Crystal Palace fan. Yes. That happened. The Guardian called it The Kick that Stunned Football, and summed it up like this: “The most enigmatic, charismatic footballer in England aims the most shocking, unforgettable and undeniably glamorous kick of the decade.”
Here it is:
Aug 4, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
D.C. United, LA Galaxy, RSL, Vancouver and Seattle fly the MLS flag as they look to break Liga MX’s stronghold.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
This coin toss is a really, really big deal for the four teams left in the competition.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
Should a PL giant hand Zlatan a chance to strut his stuff in England’s top-flight?
Aug 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors from around the PL.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Blues boss hugely complimentary of the PL’s other big boys heading into the new season.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rog, Davo, Mustoe and Earle hang out in the panic room and preview the upcoming PL season.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
Eight years after a loan spell, Gradel returns to Bournemouth.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Dutch club reach “agreement in outline” with Bundesliga side Bremen for AJ.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Apparently Louis van Gaal really, really wants Gareth Bale on his team.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Could the USMNT forward be thinking about a move to the Bundesliga?
Aug 3, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bobby Zamora has returned to his old club 12 years after leaving, and Brighton fans couldn’t be more excited.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Gonzalo Higuain won’t be leaving Napoli this summer, but he’s not impressed by the club’s feeble attempt at a contract extension.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
A massive blow to Juventus puts them on alert for midfield cover.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Liverpool has spent big for the second straight summer, but it appears the Reds may have learned a valuable lesson.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Rafael’s rocky seven-year tenure with Manchester United is over as he heads to France.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Not a great deal has changed in the world of Premier League goalkeepers this offseason, but among the differences is a huge one: Petr Cech has moved from Chelsea to Arsenal.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
PST selects the strongest XI’s for each PL team ahead of the 2015-16 season. Let us know what you think.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Ronaldo is not happy. Not at all.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Forwards both left off Real’s Audi Cup squad after training ground injuries.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
All of the latest gossip from around the PL, right here.
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 1
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 9
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7