May 28, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
A Reuters report out of Miami has kicked up the next dust cloud of David Beckham-MLS Expansion speculation.
Here’s the story, which says that Beckham will be in Miami this week for preliminary discussions. And there are two important elements here, two bites of info that elevate this report beyond sports page gossip, and beyond some local entity talking up a pie-in-the-sky MLS deal that has zero chance of happening:
First, it has a high level source, Miami mayor Manny Diaz. Score one for old-fashioned sourcing.
Second, the attached money man – not that Beckham doesn’t have a bunch of it himself – may be Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure. He was involved with MLS expansion talks once before but backed out for reasons that were a bit murky.
It is always important to remember when it comes to MLS expansion talks (and it gets lost with a frustrating frequency) that MLS wants major-player money. They simply do not want to get into situations where an owner gets cash poor and causes problems for the rest of the group through reluctance to spend or because they can’t meet cash calls or whatever. That happened at least once before in … wait for it … Miami.
R.I.P., Miami Fusion. Those were good times while they lasted, weren’t they?
So Claure’s involvement would be a significant development. The Miami-based businessman is founder of global wireless giant Brightstar Corp.
Of course, then other important element in play is Major League Soccer’s desire to “take a breath” on expansion once New York City FC launches in 2015. So this thing is three years down the road at best, unless the Chivas USA wild card were to somehow coming into play.
- Chelsea 2-2 Barcelona: Good-looking goals to spare in Maryland (video) 0
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 11
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 5
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 2