May 28, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
A Reuters report out of Miami has kicked up the next dust cloud of David Beckham-MLS Expansion speculation.
Here’s the story, which says that Beckham will be in Miami this week for preliminary discussions. And there are two important elements here, two bites of info that elevate this report beyond sports page gossip, and beyond some local entity talking up a pie-in-the-sky MLS deal that has zero chance of happening:
First, it has a high level source, Miami mayor Manny Diaz. Score one for old-fashioned sourcing.
Second, the attached money man – not that Beckham doesn’t have a bunch of it himself – may be Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure. He was involved with MLS expansion talks once before but backed out for reasons that were a bit murky.
It is always important to remember when it comes to MLS expansion talks (and it gets lost with a frustrating frequency) that MLS wants major-player money. They simply do not want to get into situations where an owner gets cash poor and causes problems for the rest of the group through reluctance to spend or because they can’t meet cash calls or whatever. That happened at least once before in … wait for it … Miami.
R.I.P., Miami Fusion. Those were good times while they lasted, weren’t they?
So Claure’s involvement would be a significant development. The Miami-based businessman is founder of global wireless giant Brightstar Corp.
Of course, then other important element in play is Major League Soccer’s desire to “take a breath” on expansion once New York City FC launches in 2015. So this thing is three years down the road at best, unless the Chivas USA wild card were to somehow coming into play.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear