May 30, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
In an odd but intriguing move, it’s been reported by Cheshire Today in England that Manchester City will offer Gareth Barry a new contract extension with the stipulation that he goes on loan to New York City FC in the final year of the extension.
There’s no other confirmation on the move, but just the fact this is being discussed in the local media means it’s probably at least being tossed around.
Barry has mentioned that he’d like to follow in the footsteps of Sergio Aguero, who signed an extension with City just this past year.
“I’m coming into the last year, and it will be a case of the new manager coming in and having a chat with the people upstairs, and discussing it. I’m hoping we can have a meeting pretty soon,” said Barry. “I would love to stay. I’m 32 but I feel pretty fit and I’m on the back of a good season, so hopefully the club will have seen that.”
Manchester City has teamed up with the New York Yankees to grab the next expansion team in Major League Soccer.
Barry mentioned he enjoyed his time in New York after City’s exhibition at Yankee Stadium against Chelsea. “The match in New York was a great spectacle and the supporters turned out in great numbers again,” said Barry after scoring in the 5-3 win over Chelsea at Yankee Stadium on Saturday. It was about something other than the result. We’ve had a great few days.
He also was excited about City’s new interest in Major League Soccer. “It is a massive step for Manchester City to get involved with a club in MLS. Nothing like that has been done before. It’s exciting times for the club.”
The Sky Blues are doing their best to maintain their new investment, and this has prompted an very interesting strategy of keeping their own players and still sharing talent with the new club.
- Arsenal 1-1 Everton: Late breakthroughs cancel as Deulofeu denies Arsenal all 3 points 1
- Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis sounds like a man about to leave 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Arsenal host Everton, Aston Villa travel to Fulham 0
- MLS Cup Man of the Match: Sporting Kansas City’s Aurelien Collin 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (41)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (29)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)