May 31, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
In what can only be described as illusions of grandeur, Toronto FC were linked with a $10 million swoop for Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez yesterday.
For a while, things were interesting as visions of Tevez dictating play at BMO Field whizzed through the minds of some.
Wake up people. Silly season is here.
Tevez to Toronto has to be one of the most bizarre transfer rumors involving Major League Soccer so far this summer.
Yesterday evening Toronto FC squashed the Tevez rumors. Breaking those visions of the Argentine menace marauding around in a red jersey with an MLS badge on one arm and a Canadian flag on the other.
“We are not in talks to acquire Carlos Tevez,” a team spokesman said on Thursday when told of the reports.
Man. That sucks. We expected it. But still. Tevez at Toronto would be awesome.
However, not only would his wages completely eclipse the salary of TFC’s highest-paid player tenfold, Danny Koevermans at $1.663 million, but Tevez joining MLS is just a non-starter all together.
We all know how he prefers the limelight and big money of the EPL and no offense to TFC, but they’re struggling to make the MLS playoffs.
But is Tevez moving to Toronto as likely as Kaka joining the LA Galaxy or the likes of Robbie Keane and Thierry Henry coming over to join the league?
The Argentine forward is 29-years-old, while Keane and Henry were both in their early 30′s when heading to MLS. Not a huge difference there.
So is the idea of seeing Tevez in MLS outlandish? Yeah, probably. More likely to join MLS is Carlton Cole, Titus Bramble or Frank Simek.
Hardly star names and hardly silly ideas.
But what are some of the strangest MLS transfer rumors involving some big name players?
Let us know which mega deals you remember from past seasons, and how they became just another column inch filled in the silly season transfer saga.
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- Kind draws could give Messi, Ronaldo head start on World Cup 2014′s Golden Boot 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)